Want To Start A Saltwater Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by brooklynmv, Apr 11, 2017.

1. brooklynmv

brooklynmv New Member Member

For a beginner, what would you suggest for a tank (including size(maybe specific tank names), filters, etc.) Also, maybe some fish suggestions? Not looking for anything too high maintenance as I have a 20 gallon freshwater. Thanks!

2. cheapcouches

cheapcouches Valued Member Member

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

4. cheapcouches

cheapcouches Valued Member Member

I also use a protein skimmer for a filter that works pretty well, but the one I have is rather bulky and noisy, so it might not be the best option for a 20 gallon tank. I also know that most fish require chemicals such as calcium and something that's called "trace minerals" (Don't ask what's in it, I have no idea).

One last thing - I suggest that you use only RO water for your saltwater tank. You can purchase an RO system in your home, or you can go to your lfs and buy some there.

5. seabear

seabear Valued Member Member

I have a 75 gallon saltwater and I love it! You will need Live Sand & Live Rock for sure!

6. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

brooklynmv New Member Member

I wish I could have a 75 gallon, however my mom says my fish hobby must be contained to my bedroom! And I'm in this house till I graduate college.. What is the best size tank you would recommend, have you ever had any smaller tanks?

7. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

I would highly recommend any of the Innovative Marine All In One Systems, they have sizes ranging from 10 gallon all the way to 30 gallon, these are the smaller set-ups.
    The low-iron, high clarity glass that they use is amazing. Not to mention it's rimless. Beautifully appeasing.

Saltwater tanks do not use filter per say. Basically you use a power-head to push water through the live rocks that acts as your filtration.
    Fish suggestions... clowns, damsels, pistol goby

Here's my Innovative Marine 25 gallon Lagoon.

8. e

ezzelld New Member Member

Love the 25G lagoon!
    I have a 30G With a Marineland Penguin Bio-wheel filter, power head to keep water moving, sand substrate, live rock, corals, clown, damsels, cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs, starfish. If I had to do again I would have the open top with the white/UV/black light above like the 25 G
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. TiffanySid

TiffanySid New Member Member

How exciting. I just bought a 60 gallon tank. Still learning so much. This is a hobby worth the time. :)

10. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Mines around a 15 gal i have 2 ocelaris clowns a peppermint shrimp, 2 red leg hermits, a blue neon, and a bit of corral. I didnt buy it as a kit i sourced all the stuff separate. It runs perfect i change 20-25% water weekly it has a cheap hob filter for mechanical filtration paid £50 for the tank itself 2nd hand. My live rock is my bio filter theres a good but of it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Theres a few pics

11. clemtine pace

clemtine pace Valued Member Member

Hi! Good luck with your new tank if you decide to get one! i have a sixty five gallon tank, and a ten gallon quarantine.

The tank itself, is aqueon, I'm very happy with it! It has a flat glass top split into two sides both sides has a nice big door you can open.
    I would also suggest that you get your filtering system youd like to have before you get any fish, as i got a temporary filter which is fine but now ill have to try to figure out a sump and everything with fish in the tank not very important but oh well!
    As for fish i wouldn't recommend getting blue damsels, turns out theyre pretty aggressive, i got a couple recently and they had a legit death match with my clowns and royal gramma, they even killed two other damsels! Would definitely avoid them!
    And if you decide to buy a shrimp that digs,make sure you're prepared! They will dig all sand out from under you rocks and cause an avalanche!
    My biggest mistake with my tank was getting sand. I got sand when i set up my tank and it was an absolute nightmare! Long story short i had to try to remove it with fish in the tank (i had to take the fish out) and add a new substrate. I have a small sort of crushed coral I believe. I would also rinse whatever substrate you get, to minimize clouding over time. My rule for substrate would be to find something that sinks, as opposed to fine sand that just sort of lingers and clouds the tank.
    If youre like me and most other fish keepers with windows youll get moss in your sand. You can leave it or you can get like a normal wooden dowl rod from the store and use it to stir your gravel to get rid of moss.
    My favorite tank hack/tool is a magnetic glass cleaner. It lets you clean the glass easy, and often.
    Heres a really small and flat one that is supposed to be great (i plan to buy it) Amazon.com : Two Little Fishies ATLNM1 Nanomag Window Clean Device : Aquarium Cleaning Supplies : Pet Supplies
    And heres another one that i actually have, its alot thicker, and stronger.
    Amazon.com : Magnetic Aquarium Fish Tank Glass Algae Glass Cleaner Scrubber Floating Clean Brush-medium : Pet Supplies
    You can get them in different sizes and like 5 million different companies sell them but 95% percent of them are the same thing with a different logo stamped on it. Pro tip, if you buy one of these (second one) and you want a thinner one, dont buy one from the same brand, get a nanomag. I also dont know if these will scratch acrylic tanks as i have glass, though i doubt it they're just plastic.
    I would also suggest you pay a little extra and get a glass tank.
    Also you should look into something to measure salinity.
    Another one of my mistakes taught me to topoff your tank with fresh water! Not salt! This cost me a very expensive clam, corals and quite a few shrimp.
    My last thing would be to put your rocks in BEFORE your sand! This is something I would've been very sad if i didn't do if i stacked my rocks up.
    Clownfish were the first fish i bought and they've done fantastic! Keep in mind they need i think 30 gallons minimum. But they are absolutely beautiful! They have alot of personality, and are easy to get captive bred. Heres a pic of my tank ignore if its cloudy i spent all day cleaning.

45b65788b3b61e10e3a410f5343a080c.jpg

You'll probably make a lot of mistakes, hopefully you wont but accidents happen. Don't loose hope at every rocky spot, keeping a saltwater tank (especially a reef) is so rewarding words cannot express. Good luck! Be smart, don't impulse buy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice