Want to start a reef tank Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by rudemon, Mar 23, 2010.

1. r

rudemon New Member Member

Hi everyone! :;hi1 this would be my first post on fishlore but i have been getting my info from this website for a few months now, iv been in the market for a new tank to make a reef tank (eventually) and have found this one for sale locally and seams like a good deal, its 90 gallons and comes with basically every thing i need (sump/MH light/pumps/powerheads/live rock ext.) even the live stock! the problem is its coverd in that unpleasant looking green algae (even the blue tang has some on him). what im asking is if i get it will i be able to get it all off (the wall,sand and live rock) and will the blue tang be alright? im willing to put alot of cleaning time because the price is just to good to pass up. also do you think this tank would be a good tank for my first reef tank?

Attached Files:

2. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

Never seen a tang look like that before.... the algae can be cleaned up but it will be lots of work and time.... plus you can get some livestock to help out.

3. OP
    OP
    r

thanks for the reply, thats good i dont mind getting a little dirty to make it shine but what should i do about the rock? should i scrub the algae off or will that ruin the good algae to? also if i did clean it would i have to cure it again? also do you guys think this is a good tank for a starter reef? i alredy have some SW with my 29 gallon but thats just FOWLR. if its a good tank i will buy it asap befor someone elts does(will examine it in person first of course) also it looks like the sand has green algae on it to will i be able to clean it and re-use?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. Morgan111

the sand needs to be stirred up n filtered, if you scrub the live rock you will kill most of the good as well as the bad.... if you are going to buy the tank and keep the fish you need to keep as much of the water as possible... if you have a quarentine tank you can use what I would do (unless there are cool corals on the live rock) is set up a 10gal QT tank a.n put everything you want to keep alive in it and then do a massive cleaning on the tank (all butr the sand and filter) then I'd refill it and moniter id for a while because it might re cycle again from the big change. Then once everything is good on this tank very slowly start acclimating the fish over to the good water (I'm betting the parameters are bad now) I would acclimate the fish over the span of a couple of days.

5. OP
    OP
    r

so from the look of the pic do you think i should scrub the rock or go for a more natural solution like snails and crabs? also and anyone comment on that blue tang? i have also never seen anything like that

6. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

With that much algae I might consider a chemical solution. Never seen a hippo with algae on him before. If you dig up the substrate it will exacerbate the algae problem. I don't think even the hardiest cleanup-crew could handle that mess. If it's a great price, though, I'd go for it. The worst thing that happens is that you have to start the tank fresh - keep the liverock, completely sift the sand - maybe even get rid of it, and find a home for the hippo.

7. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If you don't mind me asking, what is the asking price on that tank? The reason I'm curious is because it looks extremely neglected and it's going to take a lot of work to bring it back to where you want it. The corals that are included aren't much of a selling point IMO, as they are all quite common (which is ok if the price is right). The tang looks ill to me. I don't have much experience with them, but I don't think it's possible for algae to grow on it so my guess would be HLLE (head and lateral line erosion), which is often caused by dietary deficiencies and/or poor water quality.

The tank can probably be turned around IMO, but it will be a long and difficult road ahead... not sure if that's something I'd recommend for someone that is new to reef tanks. Then again, if the price is right and you're up to the challenge, you can probably make it work. Before you decide if you want it, I'd suggest finding out specifics about the equipment. If it's nice stuff, that might make the deal for me. If they cheaped out on equipment, I'd pass- cheap equipment often breaks easily and you'll have to fork out for the replacements. Also, find out how old the MH bulbs are- if they are more than 6-8 months old, you'll need to replace them as the shift in the spectrum contributes to algae growth and is less effective for corals. Replacement bulbs will run you $200 shipped for good ones, so definitely take that into account before you buy.

I have a 29 that was in pretty bad shape when I got it and I've managed to turn it around quite a bit. There's a link in my signature if you want to check out my experience. Good luck!!! :)

8. Morgan111

All of this is true.... if you can get it cheap and want to learn and realize the cost and aggitation ahead ahead go for it, if not wait and look on craigs list and you will find a good deal

9. harpua2002

BTW, I forgot to mention that I've had my 29 for about 3 months now (although it is a 4 year old setup). It came with everything, and I still have several hundred in it easily with what I've spent in rehabbing it (corals, fish, new bulbs, etc.). A 90 gallon fixer upper is going to be very expensive even if all the equipment is great. Just a thought. :)

10. OP
    OP
    r

thanks everyone, i just called to find out about the equipment and no there was no answer so il call back later. the price is only $300 CDN which i think is i steal (but can always end up being a rip off) i dont really mine replacing a few things but it will be a slow process, as i said befor i think 300 is a steal for a 90 gallon (i may be wrong) and all the extras are just a bonuse (by the way is that and overflow i see in the top left corner?) but that low price kinda makes me suspicious, as for the tang i do have a hospital tank i could set up for it but would it be a lost lost cause? i was thinking the guy wants to sell it because he dosnt want to do the regular maintenance (which explains the algae). as for the mushrooms i may save a few and move them to my 29 gallon. also can anyone give me and idea of what the wattage the the HM should be? i will get back to you guys with the equipment specs ASAP. (my guess its its not all the great)
    P.S: you guys have been a great help thank you!:;toast

11. OP
    OP
    r

By the why thats a beautiful tank* harpua i could only hope to have my 29g that nice but mine is just FOWLR for now (only a a single NO fluorescent :( )

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  12. harpua2002

For $300 that is a great deal. I recently paid $350 for a similar setup, empty (90 with hang on overflows, some equipment, canopy with 2x 250W MH, etc.). Just know that it's going to be a challenge, but I don't think it's a lost cause. Same for the tang. If it is HLLE, the way to give the fish the best chance of recovery is to address water quality and dietary issues, but I don't think it's a lost cause. For that tank, I'd hope that the MH's are 2x 250W bulbs. And yes, that is a hang on overflow box.

13. OP
    OP
    r

thanks for the info, still havnt got ahold of the seller but i e-maild him and left a msg on the phone. hopefully its still for sale. i would love to salvage what i can from it. (actually excited to get started)

14. Morgan111

best of luck and we are all here to help out.

15. harpua2002

Oh thanks! :)
    I have a 175W MH and 2x 65W PC supplements. There's a lot of light over my tank, lol.

16. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

What equipments?

Tank brand, powerheads brand, ballast for the MH, skimmer, pumps, lights, etc. and how old they are.

If the tank looks like that, I would guess that the tanks filtration is not good enough and will need to be upgraded and could cost more $$$. That was my case when I started. I ended up spenind a few more thousand to replace the equipments.

When you found out about the equipment, post them here. I would than be able to tell you good or no good

17. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

It looks to me as if they started tank from well water green algea is caused from a strict amount of lime and high phosphates and high in nitrates so most likely had no idea on what they where doing so I personaly would not do this sounds like a good deal but to correct the probllem will cost a lot in end!! And not to mention loosing all that this tank come with!!! Just my opinion!!

18. OP
    OP
    r

il let you guys know what kind of equipment im dealing with as soon as i find out.i know it bad that he used well water but why would that cost me alot? if i get that i would give everything i nice scrub and start fresh (get new RO water and let it re-cycle).
    as for the live rock im not sure yet would probly scrub off all the algae and seed it wil LR from my local fish store (or is this a bad idea?).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  19. OP
    OP
    r

i can also buy this 66g tank for $175 and comes with a " 48" adjustable Hagen Glo HO single T5 light fixture" would this be of any use or just a waste for my reef? there is another one for about the same price $200 ad say: "65 gallon aquarium and stand both very clean and in immaculate condition, under water filter. pump, pebbles, vacuum, every thing u need" any thoughts on this one? probly not much i can use from it.

Attached Files:

20. OP
    OP
    r

well i just talked to the seller and he gave me some info on the tank. no crack/scratches and everything is in complete working condition didnt get the name of the skimmer but it does come with much more than i though even an r/o unit (never owend one) he said hes i can have every thing he owns to it (cleaning tools/nets/2 heaters/ac500/2 bags of instant ocean ext.) he didnt know off the top of his head what the wattage of lights are but he did tell me there is 2 MH and 2 fluorescent (sound alright). im going to check it out saturday and if every thing looks good il have it home by saturday night and il give you guys a little more info on what im dealing with.
    expect pictures! :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice