Want to start a pond but not sure how filtration would work

izhughes

Hi all
So my fish are getting bigger. I have the option of getting a bigger tank or starting a pond. A pond would be nice, but I know the filtration system can be difficult. Does anyone know what I need to buy for a pond filter (it would only be a small pond, not massive). And also, with a small pond, would my current fish tank filter work or is this out of the question.

What sort of media does a pond require. Basically just anything you know about ponds, throw at me! Thanks guys

qldmick

I had ponds with and without filters. what fish do you have, if thats new zealand only coldwater fish like goldfish would work.

izhughes

qldmick said:
I had ponds with and without filters. what fish do you have, if thats new zealand only coldwater fish like goldfish would work.
hi
its New Zealand and I have goldfish yup. so you're saying I don't necessarily need a filter.. how would this work then. would I need an air pump or just let it do its own thing?

flyinGourami

izhughes said:
hi
its New Zealand and I have goldfish yup. so you're saying I don't necessarily need a filter.. how would this work then. would I need an air pump or just let it do its own thing?
It is possible to have no filtration or pump, but its not going to be easy. Idk much about ponds, but btw do you have fancy goldfish or single tailed goldfish(so can you tell me if you have a fantail shubunkin comet etc)?

Mongo75

I used to have a small prefab pond about 110 gallons, and used something like this...

You may be able to concoct a DIY similar to this for a lot less. I used standard bio-balls inside mine.

qldmick

izhughes said:
hi
sparsely stocked with lots of plants.

izhughes

bgntoc said:
It is possible to have no filtration or pump, but its not going to be easy. Idk much about ponds, but btw do you have fancy goldfish or single tailed goldfish(so can you tell me if you have a fantail shubunkin comet etc)?
I have fancy goldfish they look like the pearl ones I think they're called? they are fat with split tails.

flyinGourami

izhughes said:
I have fancy goldfish they look like the pearl ones I think they're called? they are fat with split tails.
I probably wouldn't do a pond then. Pearl scales, the chubby round ones with pearl like scales and a wen, are fancies. Imo, they are one of the weaker fancies too. For a pond, if it gets really cold then they will be lethargic. Common/comet/shubunkins do much better in a pond than pearl scales. If you live in a cold climate and don't have a way to heat the pond, I would just stick with single tailed varieties(common comet and shubunkin goldfish).

saltwater60

bgntoc said:
I probably wouldn't do a pond then. Pearl scales, the chubby round ones with pearl like scales and a wen, are fancies. Imo, they are one of the weaker fancies too. For a pond, if it gets really cold then they will be lethargic. Common/comet/shubunkins do much better in a pond than pearl scales. If you live in a cold climate and don't have a way to heat the pond, I would just stick with single tailed varieties(common comet and shubunkin goldfish).
I agree. All my others made it through the winters in NYs but the fat round ones with the split tails died every winter. I stopped getting them.
You can do a pond without a filter. I’m currently running one without a filter. I just have a circulation pump for water movement and oxygen. I have a stream bed with plants and it works very well. I do have it greatly under stocked though.

flyinGourami

saltwater60 said:
I agree. All my others made it through the winters in NYs but the fat round ones with the split tails died every winter. I stopped getting them.
You can do a pond without a filter. I’m currently running one without a filter. I just have a circulation pump for water movement and oxygen. I have a stream bed with plants and it works very well. I do have it greatly under stocked though.
Yup, fancies aren't very hardy compared to single-tailed/slimmer varieties(srry that your fish died ). If you have lots of plants and maybe some algae its possible to have no filter or possibly pump, all though I'm not sure how that would work at night.

Jeroen712

I would drop a large coarse spongefilter in it. Very low maintenance and helps with the oxygen.

saltwater60

bgntoc said:
Yup, fancies aren't very hardy compared to single-tailed/slimmer varieties(srry that your fish died ). If you have lots of plants and maybe some algae its possible to have no filter or possibly pump, all though I'm not sure how that would work at night.
I would have a pump or you’ll have oxygen issues and it will become a mosquito breeding ground.

izhughes

saltwater60 said:
sorry that they died.. what temperatures does it get down to it NY winter? In NZ, it doesn't get insanely cold where I live and never snows..

saltwater60

izhughes said:
sorry that they died.. what temperatures does it get down to it NY winter? In NZ, it doesn't get insanely cold where I live and never snows..
I only had one then I bought another the next year and it died again so I figured it out fairly quickly. It was before all the internet stuff was available.
I live in Buffalo NY area so it gets very cold. I live right by lake Erie and the entire lake freezes so it gets cold. January and February are regularly teens to single digit F temps.
of your pond doesn’t freeze over try it and see what happens. You can always add a heater during the coldest months.

izhughes

saltwater60 said:
I only had one then I bought another the next year and it died again so I figured it out fairly quickly. It was before all the internet stuff was available.
I live in Buffalo NY area so it gets very cold. I live right by lake Erie and the entire lake freezes so it gets cold. January and February are regularly teens to single digit F temps.
of your pond doesn’t freeze over try it and see what happens. You can always add a heater during the coldest months.
oh right, yeah no it wouldn't freeze over it doesn't get that cold here. coldest it gets here is probably not much below 0 degrees Celsius.

Treestone

Kinda late to this but if you live close to a healthy stream native fish may be a good option...

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom