want to start a new tank with real plants.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by steveredlakefallsmn, Apr 16, 2010.

1. steveredlakefallsmnValued MemberMember

would like to start a new tank with real plants can anyone help me with some ideas on what a good starter plant would be,and is it hard to grow them?i will be picking up a new 30 gal tank and would like to start with something other than artafitial.any help would be greatly apreitiated thank you.

2. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Start with anubias or java moss. They are simple, you don't even need fertalizers. My plants grow up to an inch a day. It fun, beautiful, and easy. Also hornwork grows out of control! Good lucj, one you go live you will hate fake plants. They also help with ammonia and nitrates.

3. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Do you know what kind of light the tank has or what you plan on putting with it. 1.0 watts per gallon is about the minimum you want to have. I have had some good luck with Java Ferns in low light as well as Anubias. I bought to Java ferns back in Nov of last year and now I have at least 10 small starts that I have transplanted. If you are buying them take a close look at the leaves of the plant. The new ones will start to grow right on the existing leaves and sometimes the roots are red looking. At first glance it almost looks like moss or algae growing but it is the roots of small plants.
    I had some hornwort and it is a very fast grower but mine shed a lot and made a mess in the tank.

4. Beth1965Well Known MemberMember

5. tetralover77Valued MemberMember

6. potatosValued MemberMember

Get a good light fixture from the get-go, otherwise you will probably end up upgrading in the future and have to spend extra money. Also, get a goo substrate. I have gravel, and i am stuck with it because i do not know how to switch without messing everything up.

anubais, java fern, crypts, and java moss are all low light plants that are good to start with

Will you be adding co2?

7. steveredlakefallsmnValued MemberMember

adding co2?not sure what you mean.i just started this,but want to expand,thought live plants would be good idea,like the pics i see of others tanks with them.so i need a special lite for plants?

8. Beth1965Well Known MemberMember

I have standard lighting in my tanks and they are all fully planted. The plants do great.
    Beth

9. steveredlakefallsmnValued MemberMember

thank you beth.i cant wait to start this thing.im afraid my wife is going to tell its her or the fish,i guess i will miss the old girl, lol.

10. Beth1965Well Known MemberMember

Can't live with them and cant live without em.
    Beth

11. NutterFishlore VIPMember

You don't need a 'special' light for plants to grow under but they do grow better under certain types of light. There are also some plants that need brighter light than other plants, (just like in a regular garden). How intense the lighting is will determine if you need to add co2 or not. CO2 is carbon. Carbon is the basic building block of life that all life forms on earth are formed from. Carbon can be added to an aquarium in two ways, either by injecting co2 gas, or by using a liquid carbon product such as Flourish Excel. The more light there is, the more carbon needs to be present in the water for the plants to grow well & for you to avoid algae issues. The more light & carbon there is, the greater the plants demands for nutrients will be. (nitrogen, pottasum, iron etc) The key is to get a good balance between all three of these things. Generally tanks with low light intensity don't need co2 added & need little or no fertilisers added. Once you know how much light you will have over the tank, you will be able to determine if you need to add co2 & fertilisers to the tank or if you can go without them.

Plant recommendations cannot be made until the type of light, (eg: standard flourescent, high output flourescent, CFL) & the wattage of those lights has been determined. Once we know how much of what sort of light, we can make recommendations on types of plants & wether or not you need to add co2 & fertilisers.

Here are some links to information on lights & planted aquariums in general that I think you may find usefull:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/14287-aquarium-plant-important-stickies.html
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquarium_light.htm

Please don't get put off if it all seems a bit too technical & involved. Having a planted aquarium need not be technical & is highly rewarding for both you & your fish. Once you grasp the basics, it is actually pretty easy. I hope that info helps & if you have any other questions I'm sure we will be more than happy to help. :)

12. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Nutter that is awesome advice, but like you said, is a little overwhelming. Java moss and anubias can grow in any (or no) subsrtate, no ferts, and I bet it would grow even if the tank had no hood light, just ambient light. Lol. I just try to keep it simple for beginners. No co2 needing plants need be introduced at first. Start easy

Though Nutters points are all 100% great advice. I just didn't want the OP to get overwhelmed. (poster should look into a compact florescent though, not too strong at first. Maybe 2 watts per gallon.

13. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Yes sometimes I forget that what seems easy for experienced plant keepers can be a bit much for a beginner. The question was asked about co2 though, so I felt it best to explain what it is & why it may or may not be needed. If you read it again, the basic message isn't really as complicated as it sounds, just the answer to the co2 question. :)

I've tried Java Fern, Moss & Anubius Nana in a tank with only ambient light from the room flourescent lighting & a little light from a window (pretty bright room). The Anubius & Fern did ok but the Moss didn't fare so well. :)

It's true that Anubius & the Javas do well in almost any tank, I just don't want to make recommendations until the lighting is known & we have a bit of an idea what the OP wants to achieve.

Just punching the point home even more, planted aquariums are not as complicated as they may at first seem. Learning how to use a computer or drive a car is much more difficult than learning how to have a successfull planted aquarium. There are always plenty of nice people here on Fishlore to help you out if you do get a little confused anyway. :)

14. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Totally agree nutter

15. tetralover77Valued MemberMember

both java ferns and anubias are slow growers so you might want to have an algae crew

16. steveredlakefallsmnValued MemberMember

thank you to all with your inputs,very much apritiated

17. Steve420Valued MemberMember

What kind of Anubius and Moss do have that grows an inch a day??? Whatever it is, sign me up for some. :;hf

My Anubius in my 55g (over 130W of light with a weekly fert sched) grow 1-2 leaves every couple of weeks. The Java Moss I have grows well in there too...but nowhere near an inch per day.

(end thread hijack ;-)

And to Nutter makes the best point possible....figured out your tanks limits and then decide on plants. Getting the wrong plants will cause more headaches and grief.
    Getting your hands around the basics of a planted aquarium was the hard part to me....once I figured that all out, its been smooth sailing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice