Help Want To Set Up A 10g Shrimp Tank, What Do I Need To Know?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Title say most of it.
I already have a 10g cycled, just need to figure something out for the current inhabitants.
How many can I have?
I like the really colorful varieties, such as blue velvets, neon yellows, fire red cherry's, etc.
I'm also open to other suggestions.
I'd also like breeding them in the tank too

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pick your favorite color and keep only one color of neocaridina is my advice. I would find out what your gh, kh, tds, etc. are also (if you don't already know) so you will know if you need any additives. Shrimp love moss and wood so plan to have that available to them as well. Mine also love indian almond leaves, and it provides a constant food source for them. I would get a powder additive for the baby shrimp to eat like Bacter AE. I would start with a small colony because if conditions are right, you will have plenty of babies to round out the tank. I would start with 10-15 adults and let it grow naturally.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I should start with 10-15?
How many can I have in the tank total?

Stoka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What she said. Get 10-15 and let em breed. If they get out of hand scoop some out and sell/give them away. You should be able to support a ton of them. My heavily planted 10gal has over 100.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At some point, you will probably have too many if you do a shrimp only tank. Just know that the shrimp can become stunted if kept in too great a number for their tank. I would plan what you want to do with the excess, whether that's moving to a new tank or selling. In my 10 gallon, I probably have around 25-30. I would think once you get above 50-75, you should probably start selling some.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is there a specific reason I should only keep one type?

georgelee1000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
if you want to breed them, then only get one color. If you don’t care about random color and wild type color, then you can mix color.

10 is a good number to start given that your tank is mature and they don’t die off soon.

Drip acclimate is a must. Know your parameters and match these with the shrimps you get. Usually tap water goes with Neocaridina.

Get tons of plants. Tons. The more the merrier.

Varying food. Bacter ae helps with shrimplets survival.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is there a specific reason I should only keep one type?
The reason is that the different colored shrimp will mix and eventually give you muddied babies. I highly reccomend a moss and a mature tank

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, let me rephrase a little bit. I'm just excited about the idea of breeding them in my tank, so I have a sort of stepping stone before I start with fish.
I'm not exactly looking to have a major breeding and selling operation, but if mixing them will make it harder for me to get rid of them once the tank is full I'll live with keeping one type.
What plants do you all recommend for this tank?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, not what I was expecting, but I guess that works too. Thanks

Alright so I've decided to do a planted shrimp tank with blue velvets. They're as easy to care for as red cherry's and they have a really striking blue color.
Anyone know a good breeder or reputable online site to get them from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FishRFriendz actually sells their Blue Dream Velvet shrimp and although I haven’t bought any (yet) the pictures look amazing! They have a thread in the Buy, Trade, Sell section so you can check it out

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks! I'll be sure to throw some pictures on here once everything is up and running

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought my shrimp from Aquatic Arts, both red sakuras and blue dreams. The blue dreams are new, but so far so good. My reds have had babies multiple times so far and the colors have been good on the babies as well.

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What plants do you all recommend for this tank?
Most mosses make a good plant for shrimp since they provide large amounts of surfaces for biofilm to develop on as well as catch fine particles making it ideal for shrimp to graze on. Shrimp don't eat the moss, they eat the biofilm and any foods caught in it. The more moss you have, the more shrimp your tank will support in a natural manner. You just missed all the moss I was practically giving away.

Here's a basic shopping list . Only thing missing are and maybe something to attach the moss to. You can always find substitutes for items on the list cheaper, so just use it as a checklist.

I don't ship shrimp or advertise as much during the winter since whether I'll be able to ship depends on how cold it'll be even tho I use . Also I like to go on vacation. Possibly some of the larger vendors do. LRBretts is the closest to being a pure hobbyist of the major vendors, so I'd recommend him (he doesn't sell imports and breeds the stock himself).

Best colors in a tank with black and plants is red, yellow, orange.
Blue looks best on white .

There is a difference in hardiness between the different colors. Wild > Red > Orange > Yellow > Blue > Green.

Edit: I have replaced the forums autolinks on keyword text with links to the amazon list. God I hate how the forum links everything in your text.

Last edited:

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My advice is that shrimp do better in well stablished tanks rather then a brand new tank. Also calcium is very important! I put some cuttle bones in my tank for calcium and i also feed them this:

IMG_0844.jpeg

it has no fishmeal or artificial flavoring! "With calcium and montmorillonite. Supports molting and a strong shell." Thats what it says on the website! so its great for them.

Also they appreciate a well planted tank and a lot of moss!

this is a great video to watch too

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My advice is that shrimp do better in well stablished tanks rather then a brand new tank. Also calcium is very important! I put some cuttle bones in my tank for calcium and i also feed them this:

View attachment 508212

it has no fishmeal or artificial flavoring! "With calcium and montmorillonite. Supports molting and a strong shell." Thats what it says on the website! so its great for them.

Also they appreciate a well planted tank and a lot of moss!

this is a great video to watch too

Thanks for the advice! The tank is already cycled and established

I bought my shrimp from Aquatic Arts, both red sakuras and blue dreams. The blue dreams are new, but so far so good. My reds have had babies multiple times so far and the colors have been good on the babies as well.
That's where I first saw the blues I like, but I don't have $80 to spend on shrimp at the moment. Is a starting group of 5 ok?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's where I first saw the blues I like, but I don't have $80 to spend on shrimp at the moment. Is a starting group of 5 ok?
Under the right conditions shrimps multiply quickly. a group of 5 would be ok too. It might take you a little longer to get your colony going since you dont know how many females and males are in the group.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom