want to put plants in my tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by mindiemonster, Apr 5, 2010.

1. mindiemonster

mindiemonster New Member Member

I was directed her from the plecostomus part of the forum. I'm about to upgrade from a 15 gallon tank to a 50 gallon, and I'd like to put live plants in there. I tried, at one point, to put bamboo in my tank and it nearly died, so I was wondering what kinds of plants are easy to take care of and work well with pleco's, zebras, and goldfish.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Having sufficient light is the most important part of having a successful planted aquarium. For a 50gal tank you are going to need to have at least 40w of standard flourescent lighting over the tank to grow some basic low light plants. Having brighter lights will open up more plant options to you. Do you know what sort of lights you are going to be having over the tank? It is much easier to recommend plants if we know how much light you will have.

For now some low light plants that are easy to take care of are Java Fern, Java Moss, Bolbitis Fern, Water Sprite, Elodea & most Anubius verieties. I can give some other options perhaps if I know exactly what lighting you will have.

3. N

Neji Valued Member Member

Crypts, Anubias, Java Ferns, Hygros, and Vals :) They don't require too much strong lighting. If you want to grow more lights, you can get T5 HO lights since they let out a lot stronger light. How many out puts do you have on your tank hood? 1? 2?

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

5. Nate McFin

Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

If you put lucky bamboo in your tank the reason it didnt do well is because it is non aquatic. Meaning it will grow emersed but not submersed. It will last awhile but not long. At least part of the plant needs to be out of water for it to fair well.
    Finding plants that will do well with goldfish are a little tougher.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice