Want to move Angels from 55 Gallon to 180 Gallon Tank

1. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

Hey Gang!

We have a mated pair of Angels that after their 3 runs of egg laying, all of them are turning white by the next day. We do full water changes, clean wastes, and have an established tank they have been in for 4 months. Water temp is kept at 82 degrees. We take all the right steps to making sure they're very happy, but the day after egg laying, all white eggs.

So we are thinking our male my be infertile and we're thinking of giving them a big home in our 180 gallon and let them live out their days in a big beautiful tank.

Currently in our 180g we have a small community of new fish.

We have:
    3 Tiger Barbs
    2 Tinfoil Barbs
    3 Bala Sharks
    2 Tetras (bigger than Angel Mouths)
    4 CAE's
    1 Bristlenose Pleco

This is the current tank for our Angels:
    daYTswA.jpg

This is our 180 - Minus bubbles now :)
    SMFZCfr.jpg

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

They may both be female. Has it always been the same one laying the eggs?

I wouldn't put them in with tinfoils. They will end up being thrown around the tank in the tinfoils' wake. Big tinfoils are extremely powerful fish.

Both of the barbs, the sharks and the tetras should really be in bigger groups. In a 180 you could have a dozen or two of each. You might need that many tiger barbs to keep them off the angels. I would remove the tinfoils and the sharks because of the eventual massive size mismatch.

3. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

It can mean several things...

1. Male is still to young
    2. Strong current so the sperm isn't hitting the eggs
    3. Both females

I thought my Male Angel was shooting blanks it turns out he was to young. Now the eggs are being fertilized

4. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Hey Jeremy☺

Those seem like reasonable explanations for no fertilized eggs. I have the same issue - I have two pair that lay eggs about every two weeks or so. They always wind up eating them within a couple days - as much as I think it would be exciting - I really don't know what I would do with them if they did hatch☺

As for moving them into the 180 you have several issues as@hampalong mentioned.
    Tinfoil Barbs - may reach up to 14-16" - mild mannered but may nip at Angels unless kept in a larger group.
    Tiger Barbs - need at least 6-7 - they are considered semi-aggressive & may also be drawn to Angels long fins but a larger school would help there as well.
    Bala Sharks - they can also grow large to 10-14" - they are peaceful if kept in a shoal of at least 5. I read they are high strung so keep a lid on when away from the tank☺
    and the Chinese Algae Eaters - they are great community fish & a terror to algae when they are young - as they age they may get territorial to other fish especially those that look like them. They can grow to 5" & can be attracted to the slime coating of others in the tank as they age - their food preference changes. Keeping a minimum of 5 should help.
    I had a CAE several years ago - I loved him he was so silly & would hid in a ceramic log in the tank & stick his little head & whiskers out. Looking back I remember he got large fast & began swimming up to other fish in the tank & "nosing" them. Perhaps he was after their slime coat - I don't know - unfortunately
    he jumped out of the tank. Before getting another I had began doing research & found the problem with not having a group. I only had 1 55gal then - I couldn't support a group☺

The great news is you have a huge tank so you have options!

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

CAEs can grow to 12".

6. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

You guys give such great information, I'm so glad I found this site. Anyway, let me address our Angels.

We bought them as a breeding pair, they were sold together and were producing a great deal for the previous owner. Sadly the pet store was unable to give us details about their history, so I'm assuming they may of been sold due to their inability to produce fry.

As far as putting them into the 180 gallon, we decided against it. We're just going to keep them safe and sound in the 55. We believe they're just too beautiful and wonderful to risk putting them in with the other smaller fish.

For our fish stock, we recently added 3 more Tiger Barbs, 1 Larger Bala, 10 more Tetras, and 3 Clown Loaches. Also, because we had the spare 30 gallon, we bought 4 baby Angels to populate it. With intent to move them into a larger tank later on.

I want to thank you all for taking time to make all these suggestions. I really appreciate the help and thoughts.

7. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

You will love those clown loaches as well - very entertaining. I have 5 now & hopefully a 6th on the way - they really like groups of at least 3 & my co-worker only has 1 - he promised to bring it in for me.

I realize eventually they or the severums will need a 180 to themselves & I will get another tank at that time☺