Want To Make Sure I Get Clownfish Care Correct....

Discussion in 'Clownfish' started by Lollipop0912, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +273
    Experience:
    4 years
    So, I’m considering getting a ten gallon (to be upgraded) tank for a pair of clownfish! I do have experience with saltwater just not clownfish!
    But first, I want to make sure I get this right...
    1. Salinity: 1.025
    2. Ammonia Nitrites=0 (common sense)
    3. Nitrates less than 10
    Feedings: I’m planning on feeding a mix of food. I’ll have some bloodworms, algae wafers and whatever else I can find that I have like flakes. In terms of clean up crew, shrimp and snails?
    Is there anything I’m missing? Anything I should know?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,786
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  3. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    Frozen Foods, particularly LRS Reef Frenzy are your best bet as it offers a wide variety of food in a single source and it's one of the cleanest foods you can put in your tank. Clownfish are one of the easiest fish to keep so no real worries about delicate care requirements. They will do fine with the parameters you mentioned. They are reef safe, just be aware that once established they will fiercely defend their turf and won't treat any fish that enters their space with any leniancy (they can be downright brutal and can kill). The point is that if you plan on having other fish when you upgrade make sure you add the clowns last. Also don't be surprised if they bite you when you clean the tank after they are established.

4. OP
    OP
    Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +273
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thanks. I was just planning on having the clowns! I will feed frozen foods such as reef frenzy. I’ve done Dwarf Seahorses before, so I wasn’t super worried about salinity and care but it’s better to check than be wrong...

Become a Fishlore Member