want to know about java fern

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by pritam, Jul 8, 2015.

1. pritam

pritam Valued Member Member

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You don't need co2 for those plants. Do you not want to add in fertilizer?

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah those plants should be fine without co2. But the sword needs some root tabs because they are heavy root feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    pritam

honestly...yes.
    i think for a perfect planted tank...requirements are little bit high.
    i just want to add some natural green touch to my tank.

is sand substrate fine with swords?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  5. AquaticBrandon

Yes sand is fine for swords.

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Swords are fine in sand, they will need root tabs as already mentioned though. Java fern does best when it's not planted in the substrate, just tie/rubber band/glue it to a rock or wood and it will do ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You'll be fine with anubias and java fern and probably crypts and swords though not sure how well those will do without a root tab. I just moved my tank and haven't put root tabs back in and am waiting and watching to see how they do though I do use Flourish twice a week.

I'd start with just anubias and java ferns for now, they won't grow as fast but they should do alright without fertilizer depending on the chemistry of your water. I superglue the rhizomes of my anubias and java ferns to rocks. It is safe. The fastest way to do this is pick up some super glue gel, have the rhizome just set and then take the plant/rock and put it in a bowl of water, it will cure super quick that way and you can put it in the tank within 10 minutes.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  8. G

Geoffrey Well Known Member Member

What LED light are you using? From what I understand, generic LED lights won't have the spectrum of light needed to grow plants.

9. OP
    OP
    pritam

im using 12W philips LED lamp(cool white),colour temperature 6500k.

10. AquaticBrandon

That lamp should grow the plants fine

11. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've got a an Amazon sword growing in sand with no root tabs and it seems to be doing fine on just the nutrients it gets from the betta and snails in the tank. Every once in a while I remember to throw in a drop or two of liquid fertilizer but otherwise it's on its own! It's been sulking since the last move when I disturbed the roots though and is only just beginning to grow well again. My java ferns don't seem to be fussy about the quality of the light they get though of course they do better in good lighting ;)

12. T

Thetanknwebie Well Known Member Member

I have a sword on sand and I find that their roots grow faster in sand than in gravel. Also, as previously stated, swords are heavy root feeders and require either root tabs or a fertilized substrate (Eco complete, etc). Java fern will be fine without fertilizer but fertilizers will help your plant grow strong, vibrant leaves. If you do chose to use fertilizer, they will need a liquid fertilizer since they absorb nutrients from the water column. Neither require CO2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice