How Do I Want To Increase Ph Naturally, Help

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to this hobby. I have 10g freshwater tank with 6 platies for a month now (i know, a bit overstocked) and i have big piece of mopani wood inside with 5 medium-small plants. my pH is 6.6 almost 6.3. My tap water pH is 7.0. I am currently cycling as i suffered new tank syndrome . ammonia .5ppm, nitrities & nitrates zero. i have read mopani wood decreases pH but its a beautiful piece of wood and would like to keep it in there as i am going for tropical nature look.
what natural way could I bring the pH up to 7, but not too high that it would be dangerous for platies? i would like to not use pet store bottles that bring the pH up if possible. I have read that crushed coral, limestone or texas holey rock would help and bring pH slowly up and wouldn't harm the fish. anyone have experience/advice for this?
can platies thrive just fine with ph of 6.6-6.3?
thanks

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
pH doesn't matter. Any fish can thrive in any levels of pH whether the water is acidic, basic, or hard. The most important thing is not to fluctuate your pH, but to keep it constant and stable.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I have very soft water with a low PH. I use crushed coral to keep mine up to 7.2. I have it in a media bag placed in my HOB filters.

If you can get the chunks of coral just put a good sized handful in a media bag. If there isn't enough room in your filter for it hang it where water is running over and through it.

If all you can get is the finely crushed coral (argonite) Start with 1/2 cup in a media bag. keep an eye on the PH level. Add more or remove some if necessary. I can't give you an exact amount since each of us have different water so it takes a bit of trial to determine just how much it will take to hold the PH where it needs to be.

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have very soft water with a low PH. I use crushed coral to keep mine up to 7.2. I have it in a media bag placed in my HOB filters.

If you can get the chunks of coral just put a good sized handful in a media bag. If there isn't enough room in your filter for it hang it where water is running over and through it.

If all you can get is the finely crushed coral (argonite) Start with 1/2 cup in a media bag. keep an eye on the PH level. Add more or remove some if necessary. I can't give you an exact amount since each of us have different water so it takes a bit of trial to determine just how much it will take to hold the PH where it needs to be.

i don't think i have room in the filter for this unfortunately. is it possible to add it straight on top of substrate/small holey rock inside the tank instead of the bag hanging?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
i don't think i have room in the filter for this unfortunately. is it possible to add it straight on top of substrate/small holey rock inside the tank instead of the bag hanging?
It seems to work best if it has water movement. If it could be situated under your filter output it should work just as well.

If you are running HOB (hang on back) filters just put either the CC or the holey rock under the filter. that way water will be running over it.

I actually have both crushed coral and seashells in my tanks. The CC seems to last longer than the seashells. They dissolve slowly so I have to add more occasionally. The CC dissolves slower than the shells.

I do pull out the media bag out when doing filter maintenance. I roll it around in some waste water to get some of the build up off of the pieces. I can tell when this needs to be done when I see my PH going down a little bit.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 63.5%

Top Bottom