Want to get into cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Joel2036, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Joel2036Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone !
    I'm going to clear my betta out of my 20g and I was just wondering if any cichlids could fit in there ?
    My LFS owner said I could fit about 5 shell dwelling cichlids in there but I don't trust anything I hear from there anymore so I wanted to ask some proper fish keepers I can trust :)
    What would you recommend ?

2. ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

African or South American?
    African, yes Shellies'll do, but I dont know about 5. I have 2 in my 20L, may be adding a 3rd.
    South American you could do a pair of Rams (German Blue or gold) maybe a trio of Bolivians but dont hold me to that.

Here's a general reference/cookie cutter/idea:

Edit:

Make sure you do research those options. I think its safer to stick with specie only for african, but you CAN do a mini-community if you do it right. :;dk I just dont know what the right options are! :p I think South American would be more flexible!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

i would make a nice neolamprologus multifasciatus (commonly called multies). i am currently preparing for a 10 gallon multi tank and have reseived so many different population sizes for just a 10 gallon. you could probably have a nice sized colony in a 20 gallon.

ziggi- you have 2 in a 20L? just making sure you know (not trying to be rude or snotty) Joel is talking about 20G/75.7L

4. ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

20 Gallon Long

5. mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

I would be careful with the rams. You'll want to do a male and female if you do a pair in a 20g. Hopefully they like each other!

A pair of Apistogramma trifasciata would be amazing......!! Good luck finding them, though. :(

6. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

oh... woops. silly me. never mind my comment then, lol.

7. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

a pair of Kribs (Kribensis) or Pelvicachromis pulcher would be nice for a 20gl. great fish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice