Want to get into cichlids

Joel2036

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone !
I'm going to clear my betta out of my 20g and I was just wondering if any cichlids could fit in there ?
My LFS owner said I could fit about 5 shell dwelling cichlids in there but I don't trust anything I hear from there anymore so I wanted to ask some proper fish keepers I can trust
What would you recommend ?

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
African or South American?
African, yes Shellies'll do, but I dont know about 5. I have 2 in my 20L, may be adding a 3rd.
South American you could do a pair of Rams (German Blue or gold) maybe a trio of Bolivians but dont hold me to that.

Here's a general reference/cookie cutter/idea:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_20g.php

Edit:

Make sure you do research those options. I think its safer to stick with specie only for african, but you CAN do a mini-community if you do it right. I just dont know what the right options are! I think South American would be more flexible!

Last edited:

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i would make a nice neolamprologus multifasciatus (commonly called multies). i am currently preparing for a 10 gallon multi tank and have reseived so many different population sizes for just a 10 gallon. you could probably have a nice sized colony in a 20 gallon.

ziggi- you have 2 in a 20L? just making sure you know (not trying to be rude or snotty) Joel is talking about 20G/75.7L

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i would make a nice neolamprologus multifasciatus (commonly called multies). i am currently preparing for a 10 gallon multi tank and have reseived so many different population sizes for just a 10 gallon. you could probably have a nice sized colony in a 20 gallon.

ziggi- you have 2 in a 20L? just making sure you know (not trying to be rude or snotty) Joel is talking about 20G/75.7L
20 Gallon Long

mmolitor87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would be careful with the rams. You'll want to do a male and female if you do a pair in a 20g. Hopefully they like each other!

A pair of Apistogramma trifasciata would be amazing......!! Good luck finding them, though.

Disc61

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
a pair of Kribs (Kribensis) or Pelvicachromis pulcher would be nice for a 20gl. great fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom