Want To Cover Ceramic 1/2 Pipe With Gravel

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Grimgore, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Grimgore

Grimgore New Member Member

Hi all. 1st time post couldn't see anything in searching..
    What im looking at doing is covering a ceramic or pvc 75mm diameter half pipe with 3mm gravel.
    Its for a cave that blends in to my substrate ..in a tropical freshwater 4ft aquarium.
    My trouble being what glue to use on such a large surface area, as supa glue would be near impossible a task...
    Any assistance with glue types and brands or ideas on how to achieve this project that will be safe for the aquarium would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you..

2. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Could wrap it in a tule or mesh with Christmas or Java moss under to grow out and disguise the pipe. That's what I'd been considering doing in a build.... Still may end up doing it.

3. OP
    OP
    Grimgore

Yes that is an option thank you,
    java moss would work and I will make a small one.. but had thought about having to remove it on occasions (to use as a breeding cave)..also wanting it to blend in to be hidden.
    I'm thinking a kind of super sticky silicon sealant i could coat the pipe in and roll it in the gravel. If there is such a thing .. cheers .

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Silicone doesn't stick to pvc and isn't 'sticky'.

5. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Your could cover in a layer of fibreglass resin and roll in sand or fine gravel

6. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Silicone sealant should stick to PVC if you scuff it with some coarse sandpaper. It will adhere to about anything that isn't oily or wet until cured. It will definitely stick to ceramic.

7. OP
    OP
    Grimgore

Thank you all for the replies.
    Thats a good option to littleBuddha will see if its as easy as it sounds..

Was thinking that a silicone may work seeing as its what holds the tank together .. be a fun messy experiment for the kids on a small scale to test

8. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I'm about to do some fibreglass 3D backgrounds for the new 300gal setup and after painting I will be adding sand over the last coat of resin we used to do that on the gunnels when we built boats to get extra grip

9. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

You sound like a fun parent lol. Fiberglass resin doesn't come off hands or most any surface. It it used to make boats and Corvette bodies. It's basically a two part epoxy and puts off some vapors while it cures. That would a project for outdoors and on a cardboard box or similar.

10. ounderfla69

ounderfla69 Valued Member Member

Fiber glass resin or polyester resin is very nasty and needs to be done with masks and high ventilation, I would use epoxy as it is much less volatile.
    Now for the pvc pipe get some 60-100 grit sand paper and really rough up the surface you want to coat. Now get some plastic cups, not foam, chip brushes, and 100% acetone paint remover. Now squeeze the silicone in the cup and mix a few drops at a time of the acetone in to thin out the silicone it thin enough to paint the pvc. Dont worry about the acetone it will completely evaporate off.

11. OP
    OP
    Grimgore

Thanks for the help all...
    I will try a few ideas and post results..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice