Want to buy a used tank to upgrade

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's my situation. I have 5 zebra danios in a 5 gallon tank, one tiny 1 1/4"calico fantail goldfish in a 10 gallon and a 3" gold fantail in a 20 gallon.

I admit the zebras are not getting along well as far as aggression issues go. Since the aponogeton bulb I planted sprouted and virtually took over the tank, they seem to be doing a little better having natural hiding places, but I realize now that zebras need a larger tank than the one I put them in.

The 10 gallon tank is sufficient for the bioload of the small goldfish ("Tiger") right now, but I'm a little concerned about the effects it might have on his growth rate in the future. It's hard to tell but I think Tiger's already grown some since I bought him/her.

The 20 gallon is supposedly large enough for the fantail, I'm told, but I would eventually like to put the two goldfish I have together, and that would require at least 30 gallons, if not 40.

Anyone here have experience getting a used tank?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the classified ads in the newspaper under pet equipment you can usually find great deals. Craigslist is another option. Your local LFS may sell used tanks. I got several of my smaller tanks in yard sales. Just some ideas
Carol

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have finally located a 29 gallon tank (no hood) with a cabinet for $70.00. I'm thinking I might go for it just for the cabinet. What would FishLore as a collective do?

Again I'm trying to upgrade the 3" goldfish from 20 to something larger, the 1.25" goldfish to the 20, the zebra danios to the 10 gallon and the betta perhaps to the 5 gallon instead of the 2.5 he's in right now.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Was the cabinet made for the tank? Or is it just some table or something thrown under a fish tank..... not that you need to worry all that much with a 29 gallon, but if it was heavier, I'd be cautious.

Have you seen the tank? Be sure to ask if there are leaks.

I got my 30 gallon for free from freecycle.com. I got my 46 gallon used at the LFS and love both.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got an awesome deal on my 55 on craigslist, and our LFS sells used tanks and filters for really cheap. they even have some of the filters hooked up to their tanks so you can see they are working.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, I finally went out and bought it. The answers to your questions are: No it doesn't leak and Yes the cabinet is made for an aquarium of its size. :)

So ... update! My two fantails (1.25" and 3") are now in the 29 gallon tank and there is a noted absence of bullying. Actually they seem like long lost friends. I didn't realize goldfish were ever that friendly to their own species, especially one that much smaller than the other. I took the zebra danios out of the 5 gallon and put them into the 20 gallon long tank, and the betta fish is now warm and cozy in his new 10 gallon aquarium.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great tank! Looks like you have a big scratch on the front (or, it could just be the tube running down across the back of the tank). If it is a scratch, take some white toothpaste (not gel), rub it into the crack and let it dry completely. Then buff out with a soft cloth. Sometimes it seems to remove it completely.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the new tank!

I'm glad to hear that your fish are doing well. I know the betta is going to enjoy a tank to itself.
Thanks for keeping us updated!

Ken

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great tank! Looks like you have a big scratch on the front (or, it could just be the tube running down across the back of the tank). If it is a scratch, take some white toothpaste (not gel), rub it into the crack and let it dry completely. Then buff out with a soft cloth. Sometimes it seems to remove it completely.
It's just the tube. I wouldn't have bought the tank if it had such a huge scratch.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the new tank!

I'm glad to hear that your fish are doing well. I know the betta is going to enjoy a tank to itself.
Thanks for keeping us updated!

Ken
At first I put the betta in the 20 gallon with the five zebra danios, but the zebras seemed to be agitating him, and I decided I liked having the 10 gallon tank, so I put him in that one.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom