want to agd a plec..but which

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
want to add a plec but which would be best ?

HI guys, I currently have a 65g tank, with a fluvale 305 external filter, housing 2 golden severums and 2 jack dempsy's....
in the near by future I would love to add a pleco, always looking at them at the LFS. however I know some of these guys can get really big in size,,,
so my question is.... what pleco would suit my size tank best ?

Thanks
Craig

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If I recall correctly (I've never owned those fish) but aren't severums and JDs aggressive? If so, you not only want to pick a fish based on size but also one that could hold its own against your current stock. Good luck

Oh yea, and welcome to fishlore ;D

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Common Pleco is the one you hear about getting big, they'll top 12" no prob. Breeds that would do ok size wise are clown(3-4", eats wood and a little algae), bristlenose(6", good algae cleaner), rubber lip(6"? can't recall, I think they're decent on algae), then countless less common an more expensive species. Like the blue phantom, saw one at my lfs for $80. I think also in a 65 you may be able to get like 2 clowns, cause they could establish they're own territories. As far aa holding their own, as long as they won't fit in your fishes mouths they're pretty tough cookies.

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the helpful info MC_OBS....going to look more into the clown you suggested...
thanks again

Craig

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also remember too add some driftwood. It is a must in a tank with a pleco!

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
have two piece already in the tank... but on the look out for some better peices

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
good deal. Not 100% but I heard Bristlenose are a good choice with Cichlids.

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bristlenose more so than clown pleco then ? to best fit in with my current stock

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bristlenose is a little more brave than the clown, who tends to hide. I just love the coloring of the clown Pleco. but mine does hide all day, if that's a problem. I think either would be happy, but the bristle would be out more.

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I looked up pictures of them both.. and I agree I do like the colouration of the clown more so than the Bristlenose....
thanks again for the info NC_OBS..I'm greatfull...
any other , tips, advice about keeping plec's i'd be more than happy to learn more

thanks
Craig

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads