want to add more fish

1. notmuchexperience Initiate Member

I have a betta that i had for 25days and I want to add more fish,
    are there specific fish that are better to keep in one tank with a betta?,
    or should the betta always be by itself?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

How big is the tank & what else do you have in it?
    Personally I think Bettas should be kept on their own but people have had some success with tankmates.
    In your other thread you're asking about disease, have you had a problem with this tank?

3. notmuchexperience Initiate Member

i have i think around a 7 gallon tank, and
    i had goldfish before that died but i cleaned the tank before putting my betta in it,
    i was just asking about the disease because im considering how risky it would be for my betta to live with other fish that i would by that could potentialy have diseases

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Personally I wouldn't do it. Your tank isn't big enough for more fish, and your Betta and other fish most probably will not get along. He will likely kill them or they will shred his fins. Have you considered adding a Nerite snail? You can get pretty fancy ones :)

Sorry, now for a few questions; How did your Goldfish die? Is your tank cycled? What are your parameters and exact tank measurements? Do you have a filter/heater? How did you clean the tank?xx

5. notmuchexperience Initiate Member

im not sure how my goldfish died, yes my tank was cycled, i have a filter, just bought a heater, cleaned it with water and scrubbed it (yeah ik no soap and stuff)

6. Antoniothe3rd Initiate Member

Probably not big enough for any other fish. Try a snail or maybe a couple of shrimp. The snail might be safer though.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I highly recommend that the betta have a heated, filtered tank of its own.

Ken