Want to add Angelfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm wondering if anyone has experience keeping livebearers and Angelfish together. My Mollies are very tame and get along great with the one Swordtail I have now and I've read that Angels can be kept with livebearers, but I just want to double check.

I am thinking about eventually adding one Angelfish to my tank with 3 Swordtails, 5 Mollies and my Bristlenose Pleco. Checking with AqAdvisor, it says my stocking level would be 118%. However it doesn't have a filtration selection for my ZooMed powerhead which I assume acts like a filter too because it sponge on the intake tube and that collects some debris. But then again, I'm not for certain that really matters.

A couple questions I have:

Is keeping an Angel by itself ok?

I've read on some sites that Angels need 55 gallons, but the fish profile here says 20 minimum and tall. Would my 29 gallon would sufficient for just one?

Any tips or information would be appreciated, because I really like Angelfish but I don't want to get one if it would be too stressful to it or my other fish.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
29 g would be fine but they will eat any fry you happen to get.
Carol

yhbae

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Checking with AqAdvisor, it says my stocking level would be 118%. However it doesn't have a filtration selection for my ZooMed powerhead which I assume acts like a filter too because it sponge on the intake tube and that collects some debris. But then again, I'm not for certain that really matters.
How big is the sponge on your intake of the powerhead? That is a form of sponge filter and the filtration capacity is proportional to the water flow rate and the surface area of your sponge. Basically larger the better.

Never kept Angels so I can't help you there.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure on the sponge size but the powerhead is a ZooMed 214 which has a GPH flowrate of 160. If my math is correct, that would filter the entire tank 5 1/2 times an hour (again if my math is correct.)

yhbae

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not sure on the sponge size but the powerhead is a ZooMed 214 which has a GPH flowrate of 160. If my math is correct, that would filter the entire tank 5 1/2 times an hour (again if my math is correct.)
If that is a typical powerhead, that by itself won't do much in terms of filtration. Check your sponge size and let us know.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just by measuring the length/width of the sponge?

yhbae

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I just want to know the physical size. That should give some indication. Also if it has any deep grooves or just smooth.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is a rectangular sponge and It has about a 4 inch length, 2 in wide by 2 in depth with small deep groves. According to my calculations it should have a surface area of 40 in. squared, give or take a few.

yhbae

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is a rectangular sponge and It has about a 4 inch length, 2 in wide by 2 in depth with small deep groves. According to my calculations it should have a surface area of 40 in. squared, give or take a few.
That's a pretty small block of sponge to be qualified as a sponge filter but better than nothing I suppose. ;D Sounds to be about the same as one of the media sponge for AquaClear mini filter.

If you are concerned about adding more filtration through this, you can swap it out with a larger one. Is there enough space to fit a larger sponge?

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I suppose, it came with the power head though. I don't really worry about filtration right now because my water is clear and my water parameters are steady. But I do only have four fish right now.

Before I had the power head, my Aqua Tech 20-40 kept the water as clear as it is now.

yhbae

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I suppose, it came with the power head though. I don't really worry about filtration right now because my water is clear and my water parameters are steady. But I do only have four fish right now.

Before I had the power head, my Aqua Tech 20-40 kept the water as clear as it is now.
Sounds like you have enough filtration for now.

Once you add your fish, the best indication is the water parameter. Keep doing what you are doing, and I'm sure you will do fine.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Right on, my plan is to add two more fish Thursday. Then three weeks later, the remaining three livbearers. Then 3-4 weeks after that add the Angelfish. That should be sufficient time between additions to monitor nitrate levels and give my bacteria colonies tome to strengthen.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I already have the Bristlenose Pleco in my tank now.

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That sounds like a solid plan I'd love to have a set up like that with angels and mollies. I love angels and have a growing interest in livebearers. I hope to get away with adding 3 guppies to my 20 this week or early next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom