Question Want to add additional fish when tank is ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsoxfan320

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

I got a fish tank two weeks ago. It is a 10 gallon. I am cycling it with fish. I currently have 4 fish; 2 black tetras and two serpae tetras. I have have been adding bacteria. I was wondering is it safe to add more fish. I was interested in adding fish. Thanks in advance. Please don't tell me that I shouldn't be cycling the tank with fish because I received bad advice. Also I am not interested in returning my current tetras.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It won't be safe for you to add any new fish until your tank is cycled, which can take from 1 to 3 months to complete.

Welcome to the forum!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL!
I strongly suggest to avoid adding any new fish until you are finished cycling, there's no sense in adding to the bioload while the bacteria are trying to establish, and also no sense in putting any extra fish through the cycling process (it's rough on them).
Take care!

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tetras do better in larger sized schools so I would go with chosing one of your types of tetras and making them up to a school size they may be happy at.
Which bacterial additive did you use? People debate them forever and it would be nice to hear your experience.

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tetras do better in larger sized schools so I would go with chosing one of your types of tetras and making them up to a school size they may be happy at.
Which bacterial additive did you use? People debate them forever and it would be nice to hear your experience.

im using interpet filter start as bacteria additive , and its actually working!

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool! You will hear people say the only thing that works is Tetra Safe Start but there are a lot of places it isn't available in. I've never heard of Interpet filter start and some people swear by cycle while others have had bad experiences. Keep us up to date on how it works for you please. It is good to hear more people's successes and failures so newbies can make up their minds for themselves.

Last edited:

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cool! You will hear people say the only thing that works is Tetra Safe Start but there are a lot of places it isn't available in. I've never heard of Interpet filter start and some people swear by cycle while others have had bad experiences. Keep us up to date on how it works for you please. It is good to hear more people's successes and failures so newbies can make up their minds for themselves.
both tetra and interpet products are easily available in uk, i started my 5.5 gallon tank with 2 platys and put 1ml of interpet filter start every other day and i started to get nitrites readings within a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom