Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Want Schoolers

1. Djay.racer

Djay.racer Valued Member Member

So I currently have 55 gallon, sand substrate, driftwood, a couple caves, have a hub and Marineland led light, currently no plants but I'm asking in another forum about that. Anyways as far as fish, I currently have 2 German blue Rams 1 male 1 female, 11 panda Cory, 18 ghost shrimp, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 4 young 2" clown Loaches that I'm waiting til they get a little bigger to put in my empty 200 gallon. So I know those will get way too big but from experience I know they'll Max out at 6" in about 5 years and I just got them so I got some time to decide how I want to set up the 200. Anyways back on track, I want some schoolers I want to stray from guppies and barbs. If I am to chose tetras I know there's millions of options I just prefer those on the more rare side. Does anybody have suggestions other than your normal Petco, petsmart tetras? Or even other schoolers that have color and would do great with my stock?

2. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Bosemani rainbows?

EDIT: Actually, when I saw GBRs I was thinking warmer water, but pandas and bn plecos prefer cooler temps. What temp is this tank set at?

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Pacific Blue Eye Rainbow fish if you have a well planted tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

Currently at 79 according to my thermometer. I'm kinda of warm rather than hot or cold.

5. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

GBRs need warmer water than Panda Cories and BN Plecos. In that tank how about you do-
    2 GBRs
    14 Bronze Cories
    16 Rummynose Tetras
    16 Cardinal Tetras
    1 Angelfish
    Temp.-78'F

6. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Even though you said rare some of the Tetras look great in large shoals!

7. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

I was told my pandas and bristle were closer to 80 from the LFS that's why I chose those instead of the Bronze Cory.

That's the other thing I was thinking of doing claireputput simply because of how tetras school compared to others

8. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Bronze cory has once of the larger temperature ranges it can be kept in.

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Your LFS gave bad advice, neither panda cories nor bristlenose should be kept in 80 degree water long term. Bronze cories on the other hand would be fine in that temp.

10. S

SKYE.__.HIGH Valued Member Member

I would say rummy nose tetras, I find them simply stunning in large schools. The main reason I love them so much is the way they school, they are so compact and keep their schooling very tight. It ends up looking like more of a swarm than just a couple fish going a direction aimlessly. They are rather rare but some people (such as myself) can get them very easily. I remember a forum member once said they bought one at a petamart or something and I was thinking that that petsmart might actually be like a good pet store. Probably not though

11. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

At the PetSmart by me I usually don't have issues. Very very healthy fish but getting them is the hard part. The stock gets emptied almost immediately after they fill the tanks. They make Petco look very bad and any surrounding PetSmart also so must just be a good owner. But he needs more and bigger tanks if he keeps selling like this.

I'm going to switch out my Panda Cories to Bronze Cory, my LFS agreed to take them in tomorrow as they just about ran out. So good timing I'd say. And he knows my fish stay very healthy. So onto the schoolers. I'm thinking about just going with tetras as much as I want rare I can add rare plants to offset my taste haha. I love the rummynose cuz I race cars and the tail reminds me of the checkered flag.

12. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That's good!

14. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

Not a fan of angels.

15. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

How about:

2x GBRs
    10x rummynose tetras
    10x cardinal tetras
    10-12x bronze cories
    1x clown pleco

16. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

You can have tetras and rare---there are rare tetras.
    The one I have in my avatar, the Imperial Tetra, is a fairly recent import and quite rare.
    While rummy-nose tetras are one of my favorite tetras, they are not at all rare (actually, widely distributed).

17. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

do you like gouramis? you could do 3 Pearl Gouramis instead of the 2 Anglefish.

18. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

So guys today I brought back my pandas. I'm going to do alot more research on Cory's before getting a fresh school. But since I have the 4 Loaches to care for for a couple months yet, so I'll slow down on bottom feeders. Still waiting on a response to trade in my bp for a clown Pleco. As far as schoolers I've gone with 13 black fin tetra and 13 bloodfin tetra.

My biggest thing with the corys is I loved the panda colors. The bronze or emerald Cory's I like alot but I almost want more color like the sterbai have speckles which, to me, adds character but I can't find any locally in stock.

19. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

I do love gouramis, but can't they be aggressive?

20. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Depends on what Gourami, Honey, Opaline, Pearl, and Croaking/Sparkling Gouramis are usually peaceful.

Advertising