Want happy home for betta

1. Terscelle Member Member

I bought 2 bettas last weekend and a divided Aqueon 2.5 tank. One swam past plastic divider and of course fight ensued. Now both have their own 2.5 tank. I want them to be happy and healthy but they look so crowded with the heater added. And the one doesn't seem to be very active. Sits at bottom or hides by filter. Any help or suggestions on setting up tank?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can move them to a 5 or 10 gal? If you did a 10 gal, it'd be very easy to split it (with a sturdy, opaque barrier) so you can keep both bettas in the same tank. A heater will fit much better in a 10 gal too.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

3. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you are having trouble with your new set up right off the bat. I agree with @TexasDomer, if you can move each of them to their own 5 or 10G tank, they will probably be much happier. Do you have liquid test kits so that you can monitor your tank water for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates at minimum? If you can test for GH/KH that helps quite a bit too. Are you using a dechlorinator? Most here recommend Seachem's Prime. I switched to it from another brand, and am very glad that I did - it works. Not only does it dechlorinate, but will neutralize ammonia/nitrite/nitrates up to 1 ppm. Can you provide your water test readings (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, etc) from both of your tanks as well as from your tap water? That will help everyone here in giving you the proper advice on your immediate next steps if you can't get larger tanks right away. :)

4. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I agree 2.5 would be the BARE MINIMUM for one Betta.

5. Terscelle Member Member

Okay so one betta in 2.5 gallon tank. Two bettas. I tested the water from the tap and each tank today...Provided I read them right. This is what I come up with.
    Tap - ph 8.0, Amonia .25 -.50, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. Fish I'm worried about - ph 8.2, Amonia - 1 to 2, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Other fish tank - ph 8, Amonia - .5, Nitrate 10-20.

Annoying as family members are now saying I'm worse than some parents worrying about their kids.

6. KyleMarie Member Member

Hello!

I have had my Bettas for about a month now so I guess I'll share some of my little discoveries along the way. I originally had bought them on impulse because they weren't doing well in the pet store, and I put them in some small quarantine tanks I had (1 gallon and 1.5). I ended up moving them to a 5 gallon for each of them and they are MUCH happier. So, I would say try to upgrade at some point. I also made the switch to live plants, which they seem to have a great time with. I catch one of them hanging out on the leaves of my Anubias plant. So that may be something to consider. I also got them a mirror to put in there for a few minutes a day.

As far as water parameters go, I'm also doing fish-in cycling with them, and, I can tell you that Prime has been my favorite product. It gives me that peace of mind that my fish are safe in the water while its getting to be cycled. So, really what I recommend is doing a 25% water change every day. I bought the API Master Test Kit for Freshwater tanks, and the price is a little steep, but it lasts for a while. I test the water before every water change and then after I do a water change as well. It seems to make sure that they are always in clean water and are happy. Also, to make sure the Ammonia doesn't get too high, I only feed one pellet at a time. Generally I feed them two pellets twice a day, and then I give them one fasting day with a bit of a pea.

And I understand what you mean by that, my family tells me that they are going to hate me when I have children because if the paranoia I have about my fish is any indication about my parenting skills, I'm going to be unbearable. But I guess it just shows how much we care! :)

7. PythonTheBetta Member Member

You're not alone! My mom says I'm a helicopter parent/owner! (I embrace it)

8. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I second Anubias