Want bamboo shrimp, how to care

Lswims11

i would love to have bamboo shrimp (amano being the second choice) and was wondering how to care for them. my filter is hang on back and its a tall tank so the flow isn't great near the bottom. it would be in a community tank with an angelfish, rummy nose tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, a few cories and maybe a bn pleco. let me know some requirements and if this setup would work. (I've heard from others that it does but need more opinions. it will be planted with an open area in the middle. currently has some cholla wood and rock with a sand substrate. I can add pots and such for hiding places

SnookusFish

Well Known
As long as there are plants, or areas that are densley planted they will be good. In an established aquarium!!! Btw my gardneri killi looks very like urs in ur profile pic lol

OP
Lswims11

Lswims11

SnookusFish said:
As long as there are plants, or areas that are densley planted they will be good. In an established aquarium!!! Btw my gardneri killi looks very like urs in ur profile pic lol
thank for the input. that's actually not my killi, i don't have a place to home them right now but I love them so much and hope to keep them soon.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
thank for the input. that's actually not my killi, i don't have a place to home them right now but I love them so much and hope to keep them soon.
Where are you? I could sell u some eggs ;) i breed my pair.

OP
Lswims11

Lswims11

SnookusFish said:
would love to but i don't have a tank for them:banghead::singing:. in minnesota

SnookusFish

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
would love to but i don't have a tank for them:banghead::singing:. in minnesota
Awww. I hope you get them soon. Im in ireland anyway so i couldnt send u them. They're are really nice fish, best personality ive ever kept. Come right up to the glass and stare out. I recommend a male and 2 females :)

OP
Lswims11

Lswims11

Wrench said:
I just got one yesterday!!! He is a massive bamboo shrimp lol
Screenshot_20200608-145823_Samsung Internet.jpg
do you have high water flow? mine really isn't and cant bring it up too much because i want an angel. would consider getting one of those wave things

Wrench

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
do you have high water flow? mine really isn't and cant bring it up too much because i want an angel. would consider getting one of those wave things
Yes, in this tank I have 2 aqueon filter running.
A 50 and a 75.
With a 950gph wave maker and an ample amount of air stones.
He is totally chilling

OP
Lswims11

Lswims11

Wrench said:
Yes, in this tank I have 2 aqueon filter running.
A 50 and a 75.
With a 950gph wave maker and an ample amount of air stones.
He is totally chilling
sounds like more money i have to spend =( i might just do a wave maker. they look like little fans right? how much are they typically? my tank is 45 gallons

Wrench

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
sounds like more money i have to spend =( i might just do a wave maker. they look like little fans right? how much are they typically? my tank is 45 gallons
Yes little fans haha,except they go in water.
Uuummm they have a pair buy on Amazon for sun sun 110s , two for 22 bucks or so after tax.
They would be enough to give your tank a good current.
I have one of them in my 28 bow front and it easily moves the whole surface.
And the other is in the middle of my back glass at the top in my 55 to break up my 950 on the right top corner.
The 55 gallon has a wicked current hahaha...but I have all river and current fish so it's perfect for what they like.
And hiding spots....lots of hiding spots.

OP
Lswims11

Lswims11

Wrench said:
Yes little fans haha,except they go in water.
Uuummm they have a pair buy on Amazon for sun sun 110s , two for 22 bucks or so after tax.
They would be enough to give your tank a good current.
I have one of them in my 28 bow front and it easily moves the whole surface.
And the other is in the middle of my back glass at the top in my 55 to break up my 950 on the right top corner.
The 55 gallon has a wicked current hahaha...but I have all river and current fish so it's perfect for what they like.
And hiding spots....lots of hiding spots.
can you adjust the flow of wavemakers? i want angelfish and they need lowish flow

Wrench

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
can you adjust the flow of wavemakers? i want angelfish and they need lowish flow
I dont know if they have adjustable ones.
They all have gallon per hour ratings 110,250 and up...higher the gph the more powerful.

skar

Well Known
Good luck ... I have not been able to have them live in my tank.
Despite flow, plants and available food.
They are a mystery for me.

OP
Lswims11

Lswims11

skar said:
Good luck ... I have not been able to have them live in my tank.
Despite flow, plants and available food.
They are a mystery for me.
I hope they work out for me:) I’ll have to spend more money for their care so they better

Wrench

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
I hope they work out for me:) I’ll have to spend more money for their care so they better
I think mine is doing well...hes hang in out under the shale still upside down sticking his little feeler felt lookin thingys out and grabbing stuff.
It is a very strange creature...f.y.i if it helps, hes hanging out right next to a bubbler I have under the rock as well.....maybe something useful, maybe not ? :)

OP
Lswims11

Lswims11

Wrench said:
I think mine is doing well...hes hang in out under the shale still upside down sticking his little feeler felt lookin thingys out and grabbing stuff.
It is a very strange creature...f.y.i if it helps, hes hanging out right next to a bubbler I have under the rock as well.....maybe something useful, maybe not ? :)
I might start with Amano shrimp because I’ve heard they are easier. They will be in community tank. Sad, because bamboo shrimp are so cool, but I don’t have the time or money for them yet. I haven’t even gotten the plants in my tank yet because I have to go up to the cities to get them:(

OP
Lswims11

Lswims11

Lswims11 said:
SnookusFish said:
I bought a killifish!! A golden wonder and he loves eating. Jeff is his name

Sanderguy777

Well Known
I think they have adjustable wave makers, but I KNOW you can get ones that are programmable. By that I mean you can set how many times an hour the screw (fan blade) turns on. This allows you to set how big and frequent the waves are. These are specially designed for saltwater, so they probably cost more than both of our yearly fish budgets combined lol, but you might be able to find one used or (if you are good with electronics, build a simple circuit that would cut the power every so often).

New Threads