Want a Pond but no Backyard.

Jojobean
Recently I have been pretty interested in getting a pond sarted since its spring where I live rn. I want to keep some comet goldfish or maybe even koi.
Problem is I don't have a backyard where I can dig and only a Deck.
Does anyone have a solution to this and could I know what size is the minimum to not freeze over during my winter(around -20 c but sometimes less).
Thanks!

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
Possible to set it up indoors? Have seen videos where the guy jad a few in his basement and garage. Don't ha e to worry so much about freeze that way

Advertisement
Fisch
Is the deck situated on ground level? Cut out a hole and bury the base of the pond in the ground. That gives you the depth and you can add a heater.

Jojobean
Is the deck situated on ground level? Cut out a hole and bury the base of the pond in the ground. That gives you the depth and you can add a heater.
No That's not an option since the deck is made of concrete but thanks.
Possible to set it up indoors? Have seen videos where the guy jad a few in his basement and garage. Don't ha e to worry so much about freeze that way
Thanks!
A small problem would be space in my house. I'm hoping to get about 3 comet goldfish. What size pond do you recommend?

Geoff
You could do a tub pond. Plastic or galvanized steel tubs. Can get pond plants to put in it and fish appropriate for the size tub, water temp. etc. AquaPros on YouTube has many videos on deck ponds.

DaniosForever
I'm hoping to get about 3 comet goldfish. What size pond do you recommend?
300 gallons since goldfish are poop machines have you considered shubunkin goldfish? They are very colorful like koi but grow smaller.

Advertisement
MasterPython
Look up where how deep the "frost line" is. You usually need a pond deeper than that to not freeze solid.

FishDin
Our frost line is 5'. Probably why I haven't seen any goldfish ponds here.

Jojobean
300 gallons since goldfish are poop machines have you considered shubunkin goldfish? They are very colorful like koi but grow smaller.
Thats pretty big. Probably don't have space for that big of an indoor pond. What other pond fish do you recommend that won't need as big a pond?

Janice1979
Madaka rice fish or white clouds do well in small ponds. We have a 20 gallon tub pond we keep on our patio until the nights get too cold, then we bring them into the wash room for the winter.

Advertisement
BPSabelhaus
Additionally if not on ground level can your deck support it? 100 gallons is 800lbs in water alone. Add in everything else plus you and a couple friends…..

DaniosForever
Thats pretty big. Probably don't have space for that big of an indoor pond. What other pond fish do you recommend that won't need as big a pond?
White cloud minnows are good pond fish maybe even a dojo loach if you can have a bigger 55-100 gallon pond

Jojobean
Madaka rice fish or white clouds do well in small ponds. We have a 20 gallon tub pond we keep on our patio until the nights get too cold, then we bring them into the wash room for the winter.
White cloud minnows are good pond fish maybe even a dojo loach if you can have a bigger 55-100 gallon pond
Thanks for the ideas!
Yesterday my parents got some tubs for our vegetable garden. They say they can spare a 30 gallon one for me. Probably gonna keep mountain minows since medaka are really rare where I live.

kallililly1973
How about putting one of those plastic kids pools on your concrete patio? Just be sure whatever you put in there that you will have room indoors for when your weather drops unless you plan on rehoming the inhabitants every season.

Jojobean
How about putting one of those plastic kids pools on your concrete patio? Just be sure whatever you put in there that you will have room indoors for when your weather drops unless you plan on rehoming the inhabitants every season.
we already got a tub so we probably won't get a kiddie pool. We wouldn't have the space for it indoors anyways.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
mmercier
Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views