Want A Pink Aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeeZ, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Wonder if there's anything alive in it besides bacteria/algae...

Credit: Twistedsifter

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Wow it looks like Barbies swimming pool ;)

3. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

thanks for sharing, very interesting stuff :)

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

ChristmasStar1.jpg I have removed the posted photo in post #1 due to possible copyright issues, however, you can still view the photo via the link included.

If the photo is not one that you have personally taken, it can not be posted to Fish Lore. Please post the link only.

Thanks!

Ken

5. geminichick_90

geminichick_90 Valued Member Member

That is awesome. i kind of want to go see it personally now

6. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

Thats one of the coolest things ive ever seen. Thank you for the awesome post.

7. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

That's an awesome lake!

Considering the majority of pink lakes in the world are incredibly saline, there's not much that could live there. Possibly some sort of crustacean.

8. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Very interesting!

9. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

I've been looking to see if there's any aquatic life at all, but all I've found out is that it was used as a salt mining operation for 6 years then abandoned. There's one in Africa that's still being mined.

I can't find anything that links to someone who lives there or is studying this to ask them. If there really is something that lives in them like a crab or something, that would be incredible.

10. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

The biggest I would guess would be something like brine shrimp.
    There are at least 8 pink lakes in the world. Only one of those eight isn't extremely salty. Several of them are as salt-dense as the Dead Sea. At least two of them have small salt-mining operations at them.

11. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Here is a link to the 8 pink lakes:

12. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

I'm impressed with how the majority of the pink lakes are dominated by Australia. I guess they like their pink lakes.

I wonder if the one that's not salty in Canada has anything in it. That link said the color came from the surrounding rocks, and I'm sure there's other chemicals from those rocks that might be detrimental to aquatic life.

13. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Thats pretty cool. :) Thanks for sharing (the other links on that page are cool too like the river convergence one)

14. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Interesting.... and they're all in Western Australia..... I wonder where all the salt came from?

Western Australia is a big rich land, there's a huge mining boom going on over there atm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice