Want a peaceful tank Help

1. Speedy Well Known Member Member

Hey everybody
    Ok I'm so tired of fighting fish I want to scream! :;fru
    I'm trying to get a peaceful tank but it is not going well. I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank that I put them all in before adding them to the main 44 gallon tank and this is what I have in the 44 gallon tank now. 3 Black Skirt Tetras,4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows,Julii Cory Cats and 1 Peppered Cory cat.

I cannot stand the Black Skirt Tetras all they have done since I got them is fight and since I moved them into the big tank it has gotten worse. I have noticed one of them now is wanting to float side ways and I know this is from fighting and they have injured him or her internally and it isn't just them I had the same problem with the White Cloud Minnows in a result to all of this fighting I have had 4 Minnows and 1 tetra gone so far.

But I have to say after all the deaths form the fighting the remaining 4 Cloud Minnows seem to have calm down a bit since I added the 4 Cory cats.

The new 4 fish I have in the 10 gallon quarantine seem to have gotten flukes and I'm treating them now but I'm also worried that there going to be fighting fish as well. :mad: I have a female Gourami and 2 Serpae long fin tetras and 1 young Otto. But I have noticed the Gourami chasing the Tetras and the tetras chasing each other.
    I'm so frustrated I feel like screaming and taking all my tanks down. :;fru
    So I guess all I can do now is get rid of all the fish I don't think I can take the fish back in my 10 gallon I had them for 2 weeks and I guess I can give the tetra's away. I've had the ones in the 44 gallon tank to long to.

Does anyone have a stocked 44 gallon corner tank with all peaceful fish if you do please include the numbers and what kind of fish I guess my choice would be to copy someone and maybe that would work. I hope.....

I will be keeping my Cory cats which I love and the Otto if he survives not sure on the fish in the 10 gallon yet.

Thanks

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

This is how my 45 used to be stocked: corys, cherry barbs, pearl gouramis, neons, black neons, orange flame and bloodfin tetras. It was a VERY peaceful tank.

3. Speedy Well Known Member Member

Do you think cardinals would be alright instead of neons I like those better because there bigger. Thanks for the idea I will also have to see what happens with the fish in the 10 gallon.
    Not sure which fish will make it in the 10 gallon but I'm pretty sure the Black Skirts are going to go but I might keep the White cloud minnows they might mellow out some more when they have other fish about there size in the tank as well, will just have to wait and see.
    Thank you

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I noticed in your aquarium info that you are still cycling. Fish in a uncycled tank generally cause aggression. As well as not being in a large enough school. The WCMs could be having issues because they are a temperate fish and you have your tank at 80 degress.

5. Speedy Well Known Member Member

Yeah I have had a hard time trying to cycle both tanks and I think I know what the problem might be in the 44 gallon. It has been set up since May 2011 and since that time I have tried everything, TSS twice,media from cycled tank, before fish I even tried pure ammonia but I messed that up myself, ect. That is a long story made really short.

Anyway I'm thinking the ammonia is coming from the rocks that haven't been vacuumed out so this weekend I'm going to do so really well. So if that is the problem it should be cycled. Have to wait and see.

I had done research on the fish I wanted and everything was great but then when it come down time for the fish I wanted they either did not have them or they where all gone by the time I needed them. So I ended up getting fish that wasn't on my list and that I think is what messed up everything. I can only get 4 fish at a time so that makes quite difficult sometimes.

So that is why everything got messed up can't get a school of fish in a 10 gallon but I also had 8 in all of the minnows which made them more aggressive in the 44 gallon so I don't think that was the problem but the temp could be.
    Thanks for your opinions and advice :;tg

6. escapay Well Known Member Member

Yeah, when you go to the fish store and they don't have what you want... buy only stuff on your list. Even if that means waiting. ;)

Also, does your Kulii Cory Cat mean Julii Cory Cat or Kuhli Loach? I saw Kulii and automatically thought Kuhli Loach, but then Cory Cat was on the end... almost thought it was a new species or a name I had not heard of.

7. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Black Skirt Tetra's can be quite anuisance. Increase the school size. 8 often isnt enough, so i would do a minimum of 10. Any kind of schooling fish i say 6 minimum, but that isnt enough. 10 is the start point.

8. Speedy Well Known Member Member

Yep your right from now on I will make sure before I put the other fish in the 44 gallon that I have 4 more to go in the 10 gallon quarantine. :;th

Yeah it should be Julii Cory Cat sorry I didn't proof read....I have been so sick with the flu I probably wouldn't have noticed if I did....:giggle:

It's a rare fish called the flu fish.....:anim_63:

9. Speedy Well Known Member Member

There ok fish but I only got them to cycle with and I don't know if I will keep them or not. If I do I will get more of them. Don't know though if I want to take that chance or not then I would have 10 to get rid of instead of 3...:-\

Thanks for your help....:D