20 Gallon Tank Want a centerpiece fish if possible

WagglePets

On kind of a budget so no $1000000 fish lol but here’s my current stocking now your probably wondering why my FEMALE honey gourami isn’t the centerpiece because she isnt that pretty no offense to her (love that fish) she’s just pale yellow and also she hides back alot.

4 albino X-ray tetras think a tiny bit stunted (I think there albino they have a redish eye and no color)
3 serpae tetras (don’t like them but can’t catch them lol there mean)
3 albino Cory catfish
1 female honey gourami
1 small rubberlip pleco

please no hate If that’s overstocked! By the way I tried bettas in the past and they were “fine” just I have 2 other ones in there own tank and I want something different
And the Only honey gourami I can find is dwarf honestly I could always move my honey gourami to my 10 gal it just has a small peacock gudgeon pair in there
I didn’t mean honey gourami I meant just dwarf gourami on the last part

BigManAquatics

A dwarf gourami isn't a terrible choice. It may get nippy and chase the others, or it may not.

OnlyNobody

Rams? Or some sorta annual killifish?
Some people may not view them as centerpiece but killis are pretty colourful.

ProudPapa

I got confused there toward the end. So you can't find any more honey gouramis (Trichogaster chuna)?

I'm asking because my first thought was to add two more (1M, 1F). Most gouramis are social fish that often do better with tank mates of the same species (with the exception of dwarf gouramis; Trichogaster Ialius). It's likely your female wouldn't hide all the time if she wasn't alone.

WagglePets

I got confused there toward the end. So you can't find any more honey gouramis (Trichogaster chuna)?

I'm asking because my first thought was to add two more (1M, 1F). Most gouramis are social fish that often do better with tank mates of the same species (with the exception of dwarf gouramis; Trichogaster Ialius). It's likely your female wouldn't hide all the time if she wasn't alone.
I can’t find anymore honey gourami and Now the only ones that are rarely in stock are those red male honey gourami

by the way thankyou everyone for ideas!!!

DracarysBettasSD

Always loved an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey cichlid as a centerpiece! (And yes, the guppies were culls from my show-quality breeders meant for him to snack on as enrichment - he was super smart and friendly, like a little blue dog!)

Jack the OG EBJD.jpeg

WagglePets

Always loved an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey cichlid as a centerpiece! (And yes, the guppies were culls from my show-quality breeders meant for him to snack on as enrichment - he was super smart and friendly, like a little blue dog!)
That’s an amazing tank!! But doesnt that fish get huge or am I thinking of something else

PeterFishKeepin

they will get quite big, and not suitable for a 20 gal tank, i think the minimum tank size for them is like 65-75gal or something.

WagglePets

they will get quite big, and not suitable for a 20 gal tank, i think the minimum tank size for them is like 65-75gal or something.
Ohhhhh ok :) maybe someday I’ll get one!

DracarysBettasSD

Ohhhhh ok :) maybe someday I’ll get one!
That was a 40-G Breeder, which is suitable for a single EBJD and his dither/snacking guppies. The Electric Blues don't get as big as a normal-colored Jack Dempsey because they are so inbred - the biggest any of mine ever got was about 5" long (6" with the fins).

Noroomforshoe

I am not trying to be rude, and i am not a hater, But In case you didn't know...
You really don't have room for more fish. And if you did add more fish, it should be more of the same. Tetra, cories and honey gourami should all be in schools of 6 or more.

WagglePets

I am not trying to be rude, and i am not a hater, But In case you didn't know...
You really don't have room for more fish. And if you did add more fish, it should be more of the same. Tetra, cories and honey gourami should all be in schools of 6 or more.
Your not being rude at all I love honesty thank you!
I got rid of the serpae tetras finally and added a Bolivian ram. I hope I was correct doing this

Noroomforshoe

That seems like a good choice to me. My serpaes were mean too. I rehomed then via craigslist to a woman who had a large school of them that she claimed were not mean. so I hope it worked out for her.

DoubleDutch

Try to get a real male honey as mentioned. The female will be less shy as well.

Red honeys are T.labiosa btw, a different species than T.chuna.

ProudPapa

That seems like a good choice to me. My serpaes were mean too. I rehomed then via craigslist to a woman who had a large school of them that she claimed were not mean. so I hope it worked out for her.

If she had a large group they probably weren't mean. I've had from 8 - 12 in a community tank for a couple of years with no issues.

Noroomforshoe

If she had a large group they probably weren't mean. I've had from 8 - 12 in a community tank for a couple of years with no issues.
I had 9 of them. Maybe it was just some individual fish that were overly active??

ProudPapa

I had 9 of them. Maybe it was just some individual fish that were overly active??

I don't know. I haven't seen many people reporting problems when they have that many. Usually they just have a few.

WagglePets

I wouldn’t say there mean there just.... I don’t know how to put it I guess not for everyone

ProudPapa

I wouldn’t say there mean there just.... I don’t know how to put it I guess not for everyone

I've seen numerous reports of them fin nipping other fish, but rarely when there were eight or more of them in the tank.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom