Wanna make sure this is right

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Mer-max, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I've got my t5 ho set up. My air stone , and I believe my co2 is right.

I lowered my spray bar so it's not splashing, the surface never breaks but moves a bit.

I just added the co2 this morning.

Here's a few pics

[​IMG]
    Bubbles coming up

[​IMG]
    Bubbles in my counter

[​IMG]
    My 2 liters and my counter, I used 2 cups of sugar and a tablespoon of yeast in each. Straight water in the counter

I shoved cotton in the line to diffuse the bubbles but they still seem kinna big. How long would it take to see an improvement in my plants?

Since adding the ho lights instead of no , I can already notice my wisteria leaves are getting wider and not so thin. My java fern took off as well

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a drop checker? Definitely come up with a better method of diffusion if possible, since you are limited to the amount of co2 the mixture will produce you want to get the most out of it.

I have run my diy co2 through my canister with no issues but some say it can cause a cavitation problem.

You probably won't see definitive results from increased light/co2 for a few days. (unless its algae lol)

3. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

What do you mean drop checker?

A bubble counter? That's what the green bottle is.

I figured algae would be a hint but it came on strong with just the new lights. I bought a 1.99 algae eater even tho I shouldn't of because I said he got 11". He's really not that good at eating algae either lol. I took a rag and scrubbed it all off. Some what white hair like, some was red-ish and tougher to get off, and on my moneywort I noticed what looked like black beard so I clipped all the affected areas off and threw it away. What would be a better diffuser? I stuck a small air stone from a battery operated aerator that I have for power outs - it's used for shrimp I believe in a bait bucket. . . The bubbles are now pretty small when they reach the surface

4. jetajockey

A drop checker sits in the tank and monitors your co2 level. It's basically just a container that holds a small amount of 4dkh water and pH solution. You have to have a way to monitor your co2 levels otherwise you may nuke your fish.

A reactor diffuser or piped into a canister works great, I think bell diffusers work well also but I've not done those or built a reactor. I just use a basic glass diffuser with a ceramic disk, but I'm running pressurized so I don't care too much about getting maximum diffusion.

5. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I ordered a diffuser and a checker. Thank you sir!

6. jetajockey

Welcome, be sure to use 4dkh water with the drop checker reagent, don't use tank water. There are recipes for 4dkh online via google or you can buy it.

7. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Baking soda, right?

8. jetajockey

Yes you can do it with RO, baking soda and a gram scale.

9. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ok. You've got me nervous. My bgk didn't come out to eat. Nobody else is acting wierd tho. I cut off the lights and hit the airstones just in case

10. jetajockey

How big is your tank? If its a 55g+ then it's not likely that your diy co2 is going to put in too much, but you never know. I've managed to get over 30ppm co2 on a 40b using the canister diffusion method.

11. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

It's 55. I used 2 two liter bottles with two cups each of sugar and a tablespoon of yeast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice