Walstad vase ideas

1. fishguy122 Well Known Member Member

Hi guys, I've been absent from fish lore over the past month or so as I've had GCSEs to do, but now I'm back!

I've been wanting to do a proper walstad vase for ages now, and my opportunity for it has risen as I was given a nice cylindrical vase. I also have a really good led bulb that is supposed to have a really high PAR rating (its used to grow coral) so i may have a good chance of being able to grow some carpet plants! Here are some ideas for how I'd set up the vase:

1) have black gravel w/ root tabs in for nutrients. As a carpet for the middle section I was thinking about java moss, as shrimp love moss from what I've heard (oh yeah, the vase is a shrimp walstad vase). Around the moss carpet I'll have some crypts/java fern/anubias. For the back ground plants I was thinking water wisteria, or something that grows pretty tall (the vase is like 18" tall!) So I don't want it looking bare at the top.

2) have an actual carpet plant in the fore/mid ground. Then have a wall of moss growing up the side of the vase (instead of tall plants) and have a bunch of small/medium sized plants around the carpet plant.

That's it so far. Any suggestions would be great, as well as when I should add co2 and ferts (so a schedule kind of thing). Thanks!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you