Walstad tank help

Erin17765

So me and my roommate have both been trying to set up a 3 gallon walstad tanks for a little over a month and a half and it just feels like everything is going wrong I’ve been stuck with about .5ppm of ammonia .5ppm of nitrite and around 2-3ppm of nitrates for about 7 days straight I feel like my plants are doing practically nothing to help the tank even though they are growing like crazy ( for plants I have about 7-10 stems of creeping Jenny, 10-15 stems of rotala rotundifolia, 4 stems of hornwort, a small Anubis on a piece of wood, about 10 stems of rotala indica, and 2 small crypts) I dosed a little more ammonia today in hopes of getting the cycle moving a bit more but I just feel lost and would appreciate any advice

Oriongal

What are you planning on keeping in them?

I have several unfiltered containers, Walstad-inspired if not strictly Walstad-method; but I never started one with ammonia dosing, so don't know how much help I'd be on that aspect.

My guess would be that maybe you're dosing more ammonia than an unfiltered tank that size would really be expected to handle? If you're setting up for shrimp, they don't produce a lot of bioload; and from the sound of it the tank is probably mature enough for them both in terms of biofilms and the cycle. So maybe stop dosing the ammonia and see what happens?

Upvote 0

Erin17765

What are you planning on keeping in them?

I have several unfiltered containers, Walstad-inspired if not strictly Walstad-method; but I never started one with ammonia dosing, so don't know how much help I'd be on that aspect.

My guess would be that maybe you're dosing more ammonia than an unfiltered tank that size would really be expected to handle? If you're setting up for shrimp, they don't produce a lot of bioload; and from the sound of it the tank is probably mature enough for them both in terms of biofilms and the cycle. So maybe stop dosing the ammonia and see what happens?
I would definitely agree I’m planning on keeping shrimp thinking about it I probably added more ammonia than needed for them but I only added ammonia once when I first started the cycle I got to around 2ppm and they still have not fully gone down from that so I’ve just been sitting around waiting for them to get to zero and they just won’t go all the way down and I’m getting very frustrated I have 3 other non walstad tanks and I definitely think I’m treating this tank too much like a normal take but I’m just losing patience I did end up adding a little bacteria starter today in hopes of that doing something

Upvote 0

kbn

You're not supposed to add ammonia to a walstad tank, in the early days, the soil leaches ammonia and the tank cycles itself.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dan1984
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views