Walstad Method - is this for real?

  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
I've been looking for a new ideas for my next tank, I want to do something a little differant with my plants/fish. So my nephew sent me this link on the "Walstad method"

If you have time to read it, go ahead, or if you already know about, I kind of want to know, is this sound science?
 

mathas

Well Known Member
Messages
1,663
Reaction score
79
Points
143
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, it can work. As with just about any method of doing just about anything, different people will have different levels of success, but it certainly is a viable means of having a planted tank.


https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/

Other names are "natural planted tank" (or "npt"), or "el natural", if you want to look further into it.
 
  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
So if I used this system and I wanted to run a small filter, would it throw off this "balanced ecosystem"?

I noticed that the one of the aims was not to have to use a filter... I guess this is the part that sounds a little to good to be true, plus water changes every 6 months seem like a bit of a stretch.

Thanks for the link, I'll look more into it!
 

mathas

Well Known Member
Messages
1,663
Reaction score
79
Points
143
Experience
5 to 10 years
FredBjammin said:
So if I used this system and I wanted to run a small filter, would it throw off this "balanced ecosystem"?
This question came up last month, and someone who actually has experience with this type of setup (unlike myself) said that many people run media-less filters instead of powerheads for circulation and have good results.

See Red_Rose's answers in post #12:
 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,860
Reaction score
120
Points
518
Experience
More than 10 years
FredBjammin said:
So if I used this system and I wanted to run a small filter, would it throw off this "balanced ecosystem"?

I noticed that the one of the aims was not to have to use a filter... I guess this is the part that sounds a little to good to be true, plus water changes every 6 months seem like a bit of a stretch.

Thanks for the link, I'll look more into it!
As I understand it these tanks are very lightly stocked.
 
  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
Thanks that was very helpful, she had the same concerns I did and also she is doing it in a 20 gallon long, which is the same tank I just bought. Maybe I'll contact her and see how it is going for her so far.
 
  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
Butterfly said:
As I understand it these tanks are very lightly stocked.
I was looking at just doing 1 fish, an African leaf fish.
 
  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
Well I'm going to start the this "el natural" method. Already laid the ground work, fixed 3 sliding doors, the screen door, fixed the toilet and picked up some roundup to put on the weeds outside (this gave me an excuse to go to home depot for top soil and gravel for the tank)...... hopefuly my Girlfriend will not notice the new tank in the 2nd bedroom when she gets home from work tonight.
 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,688
Reaction score
115
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
So hows it goin'?

Here's mine, incase you havent seen it yet =)
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
Wow that looks good! The G-friend is about to leave for work, so I'm waiting for her to leave before I carry the top soil/lights and new stand in from my jeep. I post some pics when I get it setted up.

Are those plants I see, the plant bulbs from walmart?
 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,688
Reaction score
115
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
FredBjammin said:
Wow that looks good! The G-friend is about to leave for work, so I'm waiting for her to leave before I carry the top soil/lights and new stand in from my jeep. I post some pics when I get it setted up.

Are those plants I see, the plant bulbs from walmart?
No, the lighter ones are MoneyWart from PetSmart and the darker "bottle brush" ones are Anacharis from a Local Store. I'll get you a pic of my little bulb tho, so you can see how its doing =)

Here it is! sorry its so blurry >.< you can see there are 2 little sprouts on it! Its doing great and I'm willing it to grow faster! >=-o
 

Attachments

funkman262

Well Known Member
Messages
890
Reaction score
20
Points
113
Experience
1 year
FredBjammin said:
The G-friend is about to leave for work, so I'm waiting for her to leave before I carry the top soil/lights and new stand in from my jeep.
lol are you sneaking it in before she has a chance to stop you? My girlfriend keeps telling me I need to call her to let her know whenever I'm buying fish-related stuff, yet I'll just waltz into the apartment holding bags of random fish supplies without telling her first lol. I'm actually skating on pretty thin ice over that. Good luck
 
  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
funkman262 said:
lol are you sneaking it in before she has a chance to stop you? My girlfriend keeps telling me I need to call her to let her know whenever I'm buying fish-related stuff, yet I'll just waltz into the apartment holding bags of random fish supplies without telling her first lol. I'm actually skating on pretty thin ice over that. Good luck
Yes I am!
She knows I stop at the petsmart on my way home from home depot, but she thinks I just bought filter pads & "betta bulbs" (not sure what kind of plant that is). Made sure she noticed me doing all the "honey do" fix it stuff this morning as she was waking up.

She wants a cat.. so my fish can be a touchy subject.
 
  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
Akari_32 said:
Here it is! sorry its so blurry >.< you can see there are 2 little sprouts on it! Its doing great and I'm willing it to grow faster! >=-o
Thanks for the pic, you just started those a few weeks ago, right? That's pretty good growth. I've had nothing but bad luck with bulbs in the past.
 

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,064
Reaction score
253
Points
383
Experience
3 years
Most of my tanks are at least similar to this. My shrimp tank has no filtration, other than the plants.

My 90 gallon community is using a small in-tank filter for some water movement, but the true filtration comes from the plants. My breeder setups; three 20 gallon and a 29 gallon, are set up with sponge filters (which produce more current than you'd think) and a ton of plants (at least in the ones that have fish right now.)

I didn't originally set out to do this, but since I keep my tanks lightly stocked anyway, it just seemed silly to continue to run filters on most of them.
 

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Messages
256
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
5 years
Thanks to mathas for posting a link to my other post. It saved me from a lot of typing! lol

These types of set ups are good when you want to lightly to moderately stock your tank. You would need a lot of plants to keep up with a heavily stocked tank which is why most people at the most, moderately stock them.

The very few water changes are one of the best things about NPT's! I haven't done a water change on my betta's tank in over six months and everything is going good.
 

funkman262

Well Known Member
Messages
890
Reaction score
20
Points
113
Experience
1 year
FredBjammin said:
She wants a cat.. so my fish can be a touchy subject.
That's hilarious because I'm in the same situation. We're moving in about a week and she wants to get a cat for the new apartment (which the apt complex charges $300 just to keep a small animal which is rediculous). She was with me while I was buying some fish supplies the other day and she made me buy her some cat toys for a cat that we don't even have
 

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,064
Reaction score
253
Points
383
Experience
3 years
Red_Rose said:
The very few water changes are one of the best things about NPT's! I haven't done a water change on my betta's tank in over six months and everything is going good.
This is actually one of the things that has never worked for me, other than in the shrimp tank (which only gets fed twice a week).

funkman262 said:
(which the apt complex charges $300 just to keep a small animal which is rediculous).
Do they charge $300, or is it a deposit? A deposit makes sense, though it is kind of unpleasant to have to scrape together that extra money. Charging $300 is pretty ridiculous, though.

Anyway, I'm glad that my wife and I agree on the cats (we have three, and both like them), and that she is at least a bit appreciative of the fish.
 
  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
@stirdarksol & red rose: can you guys point me in the right direction to what kinds of plants to get for this system. I have java moss already & some kind of sword plant that's not doing so well in my 40 gallon high. Bought 3 "batte bulbs" today, not sure what kind of plant that is.
 
  • Thread starter

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Messages
284
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
Just started
funkman262 said:
That's hilarious because I'm in the same situation. We're moving in about a week and she wants to get a cat for the new apartment (which the apt complex charges $300 just to keep a small animal which is rediculous). She was with me while I was buying some fish supplies the other day and she made me buy her some cat toys for a cat that we don't even have
My Condo unfortunately does not allow cats & dogs according to their bi-laws. Only pets that live in cages and tanks…. So it’s a salt in a wound any time I buy a new fish or fish tank.

I think I just hijacked my own thread! LOL
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom