Walmart not selling fish

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been to two different Walmart stores in the past several weeks, and noticed that both of them no longer carry fish. You know, I was just at Petsmart today and looked at their Bettas. They're kept in tiny cubicles along the back of the regular tanks, and every single one of them was sick. Some were downright dying! They had such a bad case of fin rot. You know what I think is ironic? Everytime I'd look at the Bettas in Walmart, they were always much better looking than these fish.....and Petsmart is supposed to have healthier fish!

Why does Petsmart advertise helping support animal charities and ask you if you'd like to donate a dollar to help homeless pets, when they're practicing animal cruelty themselves?! ??? If these fish were dogs and cats, the animal cops would be at their door and they'd be charged for animal cruelty! I'm thinking of calling the manager in the morning.

Oh, but the Crowntail Bettas they're now carrying, up at the front of the store, in the cups with blue water, are much better looking. Why are they taking better care of one but not another? And why aren't they treating the sick fish? Animal cruelty if you ask me.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some stores are different I guess. Our petsmart has some good quality fish. The petco next to us cant take care of theres. I just wish that petdmart would carry mpre marine stock.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think most Petsmarts are considerably better than yours is.
But, anyway, I'm glad your Walmarts are getting out of the fish business.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah thats the best thing. Walmart fish never ever last long.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
Yeah thats the best thing. Walmart fish never ever last long.
I know somebody that has had a fish that they bought from a Walmart a few years ago and it lived long pasted it's life span(ex. the fish is supposed to live about 3 years and it lives 5 years after it is already grown up to an adult). I also got 2 fish from Walmart because they were sadly the only ones who carried some black neons that were in great selling condition.
Tom

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, the WalMart near me got rid of the fish department yesterday. I went to WalMart today to buy bamboo shrimps since they're getting rid of the fish department and are the only store that sells bamboo shrimps. I was too late... :-\

Waz

Reaction score
I work in the industry, and I'm hesitant to buy fish from anything but a small, privately owned lfs that's run only by experienced aquarists. Some of the larger chains (PetCetera, Superpet, Petsmart, even smaller stores like Pet Habitat (Note:These may all be Canadian but you get the idea)) have appalling regulations regarding how their animals are treated. Fishtanks are entirely bare, almost all bettas I've seen have painfully decrepit fins, and fish are kept in tanks way too small for them. A lot of the time, employees know nothing about the species they're dealing with (I had a lady in a Petsmart try and sell me a rat as a chinchilla). I'm not saying they're all evil, but buying from them propagates very unethical business practices.

Some people think they are 'rescuing' fish (or any other animal for that matter) from these stores, but all they're doing is encouraging the growth of an industry that abuses animals. You know how all these stores have "Guarantees" on animals? All they do after you bring them back is a) use them as feeders for bigger fish, or b) smash their heads against a wall. I've seen it happen (it's the only time I've walked off a job).

I promise you: If you live near a remotely big city you will be able to find someone who breeds the type of fish you're looking for.

Terry

Valued Member
Reaction score
inuyasha_lover_21 said:
Some stores are different I guess. Our petsmart has some good quality fish. The petco next to us cant take care of theres. I just wish that petdmart would carry mpre marine stock.
I agree - it depends on the store itself. The Petco I go to has much healthier fish and much cleaner tanks that the Petsmart I visit. I think it's because the older gentleman in charge of tanks at Petco really takes good care of everything. But the worst I've seen has been a local mom & pop petshop that I recently went back to for the first time in many years. As they've been in business for over 30 years, I expected pristine tanks & healthy fish. I was appalled at the number of dead & diseased fish in almost every tank, and they must have 50-60 tanks. It was a real disappointment!

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, if it wasn't for Wal-mart, I probably would never have gotten started in the fish keeping hobby. And, the fish I got there did live for quite a long time. And, of all the Bettas I'd look at in Wal-mart, they were always very healthy looking. I guess it's kind of sad for me because I grew up seeing fish at wal-mart all the time, and I always enjoyed going there to watch them. Yesterday a mother and daughter went back to see them, and all the tanks were gone, and the little girl just started crying. If they wanted to get fish they could go across the street to Petsmart, but that's the one I saw with all the Fin Rot Bettas. I also always enjoyed taking my toddler, from the time she was an infant, to go and watch the fish when we were grocery shopping.

Petsmart has always had healthy fish, at least all the times I was there. That's why I was so shocked to see them in such horrible condition. I called the manager today to "complain", but I suck at complaining to people (unless it's through e-mail, HA!) I told him they all had Fin Rot, and I was concerned, and he told me ok, he'd go to take a look at them. I don't know if that accomplished anything or not, but at least I tried.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bet the reason they went down from having healthy fish to have bad fish was because they fired the experienced people and bringing in people who dont know a betta from a goldfish.

I miss the somerville petshop. They closed down because they rent was so high. I used to go there when I was a kid. There fish was a litttle pricey but they where healthy.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I spoke to a Walmart representative they told me they were closing the fish departments of live fish only in 625 of their more than 3000 stores. They will continue to carry fish supplies and aquariums.

Rose

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wow, they're only closing 625, yet the nearest two near me no longer have them. I wonder which ones they're closing, all the ones near me in Ohio? lol And yes, they still carry fish supplies and aquariums, just no fish is all. They probably lost a lot of money due to having to treat fish and fish dying. You'd think if they wanted to make a profit off them, they'd take better care of them.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I am glad they are still selling supplies, since theirs tend to be pretty cheap compared to other places. Too bad they aren't closing more fish departments than 625 though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom