WalMart made me happy

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have the opposite problem with my local Wal-Mart. They weren't selling fish before, then they "re-decorated" the store, and now they're selling them.

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bolivianbaby said:
I have the opposite problem with my local Wal-Mart. They weren't selling fish before, then they "re-decorated" the store, and now they're selling them.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Goldwing_Don said:
But in some towns thats all they have and now some people wont be able to enjoy the hobby because there is no fish to buy...but i guess thats not importent you most of you.
JMHO
There are about 10 pet stores within 20 minutes driving distance from me yet I still tend to drive about 30-40 minutes when I go fish shopping because I like to spend my money in stores that are deserving of it. Most of what's close to me is chain stores and even small LFS that don't take the best care of their fish (or don't have much selection). I've found a few fish stores further away that are dedicated to keeping their fish healthy and are very knowledgeable so I have no problem making the drive for them to show my appreciation for what they do for the hobby.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Every fish section of wal-mart I've seen is worse than petsmart, the tanks are usually very dirty and the fish aren't that active. The only place I've seen that is close is a Doogan's near by, same thing tanks look dirty, most of the fish are lazy and there fins are usually down or half down.

Shock

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I really would like to join in on the hate of Walmart in this thread but I can't. My friend set up a small 5 gallon tank three months ago. I was insistent on him not getting fish from Walmart and how we'd go pick some out for him at a LFS not even 10 minutes from him. He ended up getting 5 neon tetras (tiny little things) that are still somehow alive despite all my words to the contrary. They seem to be pretty healthy (as did the fish they had for sale at the store when I looked.)

What can I say, maybe it's the exception that proves the stereotype?

PS: I still don't buy fish from them.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, we live far away from cities and just to get to walmart, pet stores and the small lfs is at least an hour away. So any other fishstores are 3 or more hours away. So its not easy as that for everyone. Not saying I think that makes it ok to support poor fish keeping and I'm also not saying you suck if you buy something from a chain pet store or walmart. I'm not in support of ANY animals being mistreated. I think allot of it will just depend what the stores are like around you, the employees there and how comfortable you are with purchasing from 'certain places' that have obtained questionable reputations regarding fish care. Iv never purchased a fish from walmart. After this I'll prob look real close at the fish next time I'm in any of the walmarts down here just to see how they seem to be doing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom