Walmart Goldfish Tragedy

Goldfish4life

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm having trouble even figuring out where to start. I was in Walmart the other day for Christmas shopping and out of the corner of my eye I saw tanks. I was really confused because I thought they stopped selling fish at Walmart.

I went back there and told a buddy that it would be quick, we are both in the mindset that if you buy from Walmart to save the fish it will only encourage them to buy more. But, I was not prepared to see what I saw.

As a goldfish keeper my heart lurched when I saw plecos sucking on the slime coat of these tiny black moor fish. They couldn't have been bigger than a finger I haven't seen anything like it. My black moor is so plump, so I'm wondering if they're starved.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about those black moors in the tank with dead fish and plecos attacking them. They were in really bad shape. I want to take on a couple but I don't want to buy them and I'm not going to jail for shoplifting a five dollar goldfish.

Does anyone know what can be done about this? I wish I took pictures, I thought I was going to cry in the middle of the fish section so I left pretty quickly. There needs to be some kind of care for it.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
People have tried asking for discounts on sick fish. You should send a complaint to Walmart about the conditions of their fish and provide pictures.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm having trouble even figuring out where to start. I was in Walmart the other day for Christmas shopping and out of the corner of my eye I saw tanks. I was really confused because I thought they stopped selling fish at Walmart.

I went back there and told a buddy that it would be quick, we are both in the mindset that if you buy from Walmart to save the fish it will only encourage them to buy more. But, I was not prepared to see what I saw.

As a goldfish keeper my heart lurched when I saw plecos sucking on the slime coat of these tiny black moor fish. They couldn't have been bigger than a finger I haven't seen anything like it. My black moor is so plump, so I'm wondering if they're starved.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about those black moors in the tank with dead fish and plecos attacking them. They were in really bad shape. I want to take on a couple but I don't want to buy them and I'm not going to jail for shoplifting a five dollar goldfish.

Does anyone know what can be done about this? I wish I took pictures, I thought I was going to cry in the middle of the fish section so I left pretty quickly. There needs to be some kind of care for it.
Idk how old you are, but when I was a teenager, Walmart used to sell small animals like hamsters and guinea pigs. There was such outrage over the cruel breeding practices to Walmart, they stopped selling them. Only fish now. Walmart should sell nothing live. Even the ppl that care for their fish and think they are doing right dont know enough. It breaks my heart every time I walk past the tanks. Though, I must say, sometimes cruelly treated feeder fish are a necessity..

Goldfish4life

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Idk how old you are, but when I was a teenager, Walmart used to sell small animals like hamsters and guinea pigs. There was such outrage over the cruel breeding practices to Walmart, they stopped selling them. Only fish now. Walmart should sell nothing live. Even the ppl that care for their fish and think they are doing right dont know enough. It breaks my heart every time I walk past the tanks. Though, I must say, sometimes cruelly treated feeder fish are a necessity..
I'm 18, so I'm just a kid. I can understand why feeder fish aren't necessarily tenderly cared for. But I can't understand why they wouldn't care for more fancy breeds of fish they sell. I don't know, I'm losing fish over nothing. A pal of mine said it's nature and in the end the pleco needed it - but it's just heartbreaking to see.

People have tried asking for discounts on sick fish. You should send a complaint to Walmart about the conditions of their fish and provide pictures.
Complain to headquarters or the general manager? Both seem like good options but are two completely different levels. I worry that if I bring it up to a GM they will say okay and then move on. But, I can also see headquarters doing the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The breeding of Black Moors and other extremely deformed fancies is, itself, cruel. Biologically, their lives are short and even possibly painful. Or at the very least, inconvenient for them. I'm a hypocrite for saying this since I own a fancy myself. My philosophy is to live and let live.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would complain at the local level to start. I also think that feeder fish, especially goldfish, aren't a food source to be encouraged. Even some fish 'that only eat live food' can be transitioned to frozen or pellets if worked with assiduously enough. Feeder goldfish are a very poor food source anyway and shouldn't even be sold.

I wish that Walmart would just stop selling fish. They do it so very poorly. At times, their tanks are so full the fish have hardly enough room to hover ... all their tanks, not just feeders.

While fancies may be deformed in a way, that doesn't mean that healthy specimens can't live happily for years. They didn't ask to be bred; they were adapted for our enjoyment and we have a responsibility to provide the best care that we possibly can.

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the way goldfish feeders are raised and cared for is horrific.. but the idea that pellet food (ie formerly live food) is more ethical is a falsehood..some ingredients raised using similar high density, antibiotic intensive aquaculture methods to goldfish. just because it doesn’t look like a fish anymore when you buy it. Like that prepackaged abused chicken we all eat from the grocery store. Honestly we should all switch to insect/invertebrate based or biofloc based fish food but it is still being developed and not common on the market yet.

The op wasn’t even talking about feeders though. It would be nice if stores doing fish care had some regulations about staff training requirements and water maintenance guidelines. It makes me angry that the goldfish tanks at big box stores never are built to handle the ammonia levels. But it’s cheaper for them to replace cheap fish (even fancies) than maintain them properly.

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi goldfish4life:
This is all very sad. We all keep fish because we like them and it hurts when we see their lives needlessly thrown away as though they were garbage.
I once complained to the STORE MANAGER at Walmart. I showed him how the Betta's fins were rotting off in their cups and how the water was so thick with rotten food that it was negatively affecting their bottom line. No one is going to purchase a fish they can't see. I also showed him the dead fish that were thrown in the sink. He seemed surprised and interested.
I'm not sure anything came of it, though the Betta cups did seem cleaner the next time I went.
Like other people, I've come to avoid the fish aisles at Walmart.
I feel your pain.
Cindy

Goldfish4life

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi goldfish4life:
This is all very sad. We all keep fish because we like them and it hurts when we see their lives needlessly thrown away as though they were garbage.
I once complained to the STORE MANAGER at Walmart. I showed him how the Betta's fins were rotting off in their cups and how the water was so thick with rotten food that it was negatively affecting their bottom line. No one is going to purchase a fish they can't see. I also showed him the dead fish that were thrown in the sink. He seemed surprised and interested.
I'm not sure anything came of it, though the Betta cups did seem cleaner the next time I went.
Like other people, I've come to avoid the fish aisles at Walmart.
I feel your pain.
Cindy
So the manager did do something? He didn’t immediately dismiss you? I kind of figured they wouldn’t give me the time of day. I’ll have to talk to them then.

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So the manager did do something? He didn’t immediately dismiss you? I kind of figured they wouldn’t give me the time of day. I’ll have to talk to them then.
I think this is a case where its best to assume the best about people. The manager seemed thankful that I kindly educated him. He honestly didn't know.

I'm constantly surprised how well- meaning people don't have a clue that fish are being injured because of the inhumane conditions in which they are kept.

Yet, the sad fact of the matter is this: fish are harmed because I like to keep fish. My fish are well cared for, but my desire creates a demand which causes the suppliers to supply fish. I'd be willing to bet that most fish die before reaching the consumer.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom