Walmart did what???

1. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

This is all good people!! My little cousin pointed it out in a walkart in Arizona and I was so happy and impressed I had to take a pic and post it :) look!!

Sorry forgot pic!!
    They were quarantining two goldies. It made me super happy lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

This is so uncharacteristic and unlikely it almost sounds like a joke.

Glad there is at least one Walmart employee in the world with some fish sense.

3. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't of believed it. I was very shocked and pleased :)

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The Walmart here has their goldfish blocked off almost constantly, with a similar sign.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's great!
    We often hear the bad, it's nice to see the good also. :)

6. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

My LPS owner worked at the fish department in a Walmart many, many moons ago. She said they wouldn't even LET her do things like this.

7. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

My local Wal-Mart doesn't do anything like this for their fish, but they do take extremely good care of the tanks and fish when they have them. I've never gotten a sick fish from them and there never seems to be any dead ones in the tanks when I look at their fish (besides maybe a feeder Goldie or two stuck to the filter). This is an awesome sign to see! I perhaps wonder if its just misinformation on the Wal-Mart's side, or if the workers are just lazy and don't care about other living beings.

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea, I believe that they didn't let her do anything about their tanks. That's why I couldn't work there because I would always be wanting to fix things.
    And that's great to hear!! I'm glad your Wal-Mart does well with their fish.
    My Wal-Mart is horrible and makes me sad when I walk by.

9. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Micaela13
    Yes, this is probably why so many had to remove their fish departments. I really enjoy going there on Thursdays when they get new fish in! I hope they change how your Wal-Mart's fish department is run! I've considered asking my LFS if they need help cleaning tanks and doing W/C's. He has about 5 or so 100g tanks, 10 or more 90g tanks, then on top of it has two multi-tank walls of fish just like Wal-Mart's setup.

And thats just his freshwater! He's got another 5 or 10 Saltwater tanks that are above 40g.

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

That's awesome!!! I would love to work in a Pet store or local fish store.
    I hope my Wal-Mart gets better but I don't think it will. My petco right next to it isn't even good. Nobody around here in the pet stores or departments know what they are doing. And it shows through their pets. It really sucks :(

11. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Ours is to the point that my daughter will count all the dead fish instead of enjoying them. The only time there aren't a ton of dead fish seems to be right when they get shipments.

12. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yeaaa, sounds like mine :(

13. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Wow I can't believe walmart did that! My walmart is really bad. Everytime I pass by the fish section it makes me really sad to see all those poor fish slowly dying. It's horrible it's like they are torturing fish. I wish that I could be able to save all those poor fish but you can't do much.Some walmarts should ban from keeping fish. It's animal abuse. But I'm really happy to see that someone at walmart actually cares for their fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yeah it is sad to see them! A lot of Wal-Mart's around my town either removed or never had a Fish Center. But the one that is in my town is great! There is an older gentleman probably in his mid 50's that it seems like that is all they hired him for, almost every time I walk by he is within a aisle or two of the fish section, and always asks if we need help netting fish. I guess some people (wink wink) net their own fish and write down the code for a (80112) Tetra $2.25, instead of say an (80117) African Cichlid $7.89. They don't seem to like that too much and he is always right next to us when we net them.

15. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I am still very impressed with your Wal-Mart!! I'm surprised you can net your own fish too lol we can't go near the tanks or they throw a fit.

16. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yes the workers that don't have anything to do with the tanks completely ignore us, don't greet us or ask if we need help, its almost like they don't want to help us. But the one guy who is usually around the fish tanks doesn't care at all if we net our own. He is usually busy changing out the Betta cup waters or fixing stuff on the shelves close to the fish department. All he really does when we net our own is Just makes sure we write down the right UPC for the fish.

The days we get fish from there and he doesn't work, its dead quiet by the tanks, and like I said before any workers that see us or walk by us don't ask if we need help or anything. We just fill up our bag with water and net our fish!

My LFS I was talking about before too lets us net our own fish! The first fish I ever bought was from a shady PetCo that wouldn't even let us choose exactly which Tetra I wanted. The next time we bought fish I went to the LFS I go to now, they let us net our own! Ever since then that is where we go!

17. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Wow that's awesome!! Haha :D I wish I could do that lol but I also wish my Wal-Mart cared for their fish :(

18. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yeah! Hopefully it will get better! or possibly take it down, I know its not good losing a source of purchasing fish, but if they are sick and almost dead, it is no use buying them at all in the first place.

19. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I know, I wish there is somehow we can make some walmarts remove their fish center. Maybe by calling them and filing complaints or something

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yes, I do not want all of them to lose their fish centers! Some of them are fairly decent like mine! But that usually is how they get shut down. People complaining to store managers about the abuse and neglect!

I enjoy my Wal-Mart as their fish department is way nicer than the PetCo 20 miles away from me. If I had to travel I'd just go to the LFS 25 miles away.