Walmart Animal Abuse

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was browsing the fish section of my local Walmart today, and what I saw was horrific:

1.) Bettas in cups with probably about 2-2.5 inches of water
2.) About 7-10 orange (bubble eye, I think) fantail goldfish dead in one tank. They were all in sort of a line/pile, so I'm not sure if that's where they died or if an employee shoved them in a corner instead of disposing of them. Seems kind of weird to me that they all died in that weird position.
3.) Black bubble eye fantail goldfish with severe ick. The live ones were eating the dead ones, and it was disgusting to see them pluck at the dead fish's flesh and eyes.
4.) Huge piles of fish feces, as if the tanks have never been cleaned. There may have been some uneaten food mixed in (if they even feed the fish), but if so, it was all the same color so I couldn't really tell.
5.) Fish injected with dye.
6.) Puffer fish with shredded/eaten tails. (I don't know enough about puffers to know the difference.)
7.) LOTS of dead fish. Many species other than the goldfish were eating their own dead.
8.) I don't think they understand the difference between a silver dollar fish and a dwarf gourami. There was one very freaked out dwarf gourami in the tank with a lot of silver dollar fish. It was very pale, almost the color of the silver dollar fish, I assume from stress? None of their gouramis of any kind had much color.
9.) Many fish had pieces missing from their fins. I assume this was caused by fin nipping.

I'm sure my list could go on and on. Isn't there something we can do? I believe you can report pet store cruelty to the department of agriculture, but I would really rather not get into that, and I'm sure nothing much would be done anyway.
I think something should be done though. This is blatant animal cruelty. If an SPCA saw this in a private residence, I'm sure they would confiscate the animals, and possibly bring criminal charges against the owner. This is absolutely unjustifiable!!! What can we do???

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As much as it sickin us to see or hear this i don't think fish fall under "Animal Abuse" laws.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your best bet is to write to the corporation as well as the manager of the store.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
+1 to lucy!

Mikey Doodle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldwing_Don said:
As much as it sickin us to see or hear this i don't think fish fall under "Animal Abuse" laws.
Really? They do here in the UK. The RSPCA have lots of quite strict guidelines on caring for fish of any sort. Keeping goldfish in a bowl, for example, is one of the things they can prosecute for.

I would be inclined as Lucy said to write to their head office and inform the general manager of the store. If the fish are being mistreated through ignorance there surely has to be some training given to the staff, even if it is just to show them how to clean the tanks and check the fish visually!

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Goldwing_Don said:
I read the WV animal abuse laws, and if I remember correctly it just says animals, and doesn't really make a distinction between species. That's WV, though, not federal laws. I'm not sure if the state could get involved or if it has to be federal. At any rate, I think a strongly worded letter will be sent.

If I were to find my local Walmart's address and send them a letter addressed to the store manager, do you think it would actually be delivered, since an actual name isn't included? Really, I probably should just call, but I loathe phone conversations with people I don't know (just one of those quirky things:rolleyes. Not saying I wouldn't; I loathe animal abuse more than I loathe phone conversations. How would I find contact information for the corporation?

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PETA is who needs to look into it. I am sure at the least they would set up picket lines in front of some of the stores.

I used to have an address and phone number for them but I can't find it right now. They do have a website I am sure.

phantom1bc

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I never look at the fish at wal-mart, makes one to angry

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ayelie said:
PETA is who needs to look into it. I am sure at the least they would set up picket lines in front of some of the stores.

I used to have an address and phone number for them but I can't find it right now. They do have a website I am sure.
When I see this it makes me frown on PETA as much as I frown on Walmart. Please, tell me this is not true!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PETA is the last agency that should look into this. Extremism never translates well into supporting a cause IMHO.

Really, extremism never translates well into anything. The world isn't so black and white.

Vote with your dollar if you're offended by Walmart's practices. That's the only way to convey the message.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 Harpua. For best and immediate results I suggest having a serious talk with the management there, in person. You can stress to them your concern and show them exactly what your issue is face to fish.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
harpua2002 said:
PETA is the last agency that should look into this. Extremism never translates well into supporting a cause IMHO.

Really, extremism never translates well into anything. The world isn't so black and white.

Vote with your dollar if you're offended by Walmart's practices. That's the only way to convey the message.
+1

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's typical Walmart for you. I hate to say it, but every single Walmart (and some Petcos I've seen) have been just as bad as you described or worse.

About the dwarf gourami in with the silver dollars...have you seen the way their tanks are set up? Each level is basically a long 30gal tank that is divided into three with no covers over the top. So, it's relatively easy for fish to jump between tanks.

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You just described the Walmart in my town but now, they no longer sell fish!

I guess people must have complained, petitioned or something because one day, I went to that area to see what kind of filters they sold and there were no tanks or betta cups to be seen. I felt like bouncing off of the walls!

I would do what others have suggested and write to the general manager of the store as well as the head office and lodge a complaint.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Red_Rose said:
You just described the Walmart in my town but now, they no longer sell fish!
Wouldn't it be great if all Walmarts stoped selling fish! Sigh . . . We can only dream.

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm in Australia so IDK, but maybe you could contact the SPCA and they could then at least point you in the right direction to get more help, and let you know if fish cruelty is covered by any state/fed laws.

I also wouldn't just vote with your dollar. As i understand it, Walmart is waaaaaaaay to big to care if one person boycotts the store, so i doubt your ceasing to shop there would help . Still, i'd would also boycott the rotten place too as i'd feel awful knowing my cash was going to a place with such bad animal cruelty practices!

Best of luck, i've seen some bad fish/pet shops in my time, but that's the worst story i've ever heard. I wanna give them one of these with every fish they killed

princecheck13

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would call the head office and complain. If you talk to the right person and make sure you do. You can tell them that if they are not going to care for the fish simply take them out. No reason for the fish to die because someone is to lazy to take 2 minutes to check the water.

iLovePacus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Walmart is just nasty, period. Back about 15 years ago when I was about 10 the Walmart here used to sell guinea pigs and all of them would be missing most of their hair and all kinds of bad stuff. My mom used to rescue them, at one point she had about 10 guinea pigs from Walmart. She also went through a betta stage because she felt so bad for the bettas there and she had no less than 20 bettas in different bowls throughout the house... not proud of this but she used to take big styrofoam cups from convienent stores into Walmart and she would dump the bettas into the cup and walk out of the store with them.... yeah my mom was nuts.

ticocruiser

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Our Walmart has the fish "hidden" in the back. The second supercenter WM they just built at least have them in a traffic path that they are more in view so maybe they will take care of them. It just opened and they seemed to have about half the tanks as the other WM.

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All Wal-Marts are closing their fish sections by 2012. Calm down the horses everyone.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads