Wall mounting 10 gallon :/ Possable?

1. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Well I would like to wall mount a ten gallon tank. I have access to a closet behind the wall to run all the wires to hide them.
    I can make the mount since I know two people that are great with wood working. But here are the other issues. Will i be able to mount it to two studs without issue? And i have a problem. My cat likes to jump on high stuff and with a glass lid this could be a major problem. Any ideas? Anyone else ever done this?

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

10 gallon isn't all that heavy if you've got a shelf anchored to the studs properly it should work. My cats jump on my glass canopies all the time and one has never broke. But you can make your own cover from acrylic or polycarbonate sheets that you can buy from a home improvement store.

3. Watehobit Member Member

Keep in mind that when filled, a 10 gallon tank will way around 100 lbs. While this is still a possible project, take special care to make sure that the mount and the studs can handle that amount of weight for an extended duration.

4. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I'm assuming you own the structure and have insurance ;)

5. renthus Well Known Member Member

Certainly possible, but personally I'd feel a whole lot safer putting a vertical support underneath the shelf. Just the water and tank gets you to about 84 lbs, then 15 lbs of substrate gets you to 100 lbs, plus a filter, lights/hood, etc etc. You're talking about a shelf that can support a small adult.