Waiting On Polyurethane

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Messages
572
Reaction score
264
Points
93
Experience
2 years
Hello, has anyone used polyurethane to clear coat their stands?

If so how long did you wait until you felt comfortable putting your tank up. I planned on 5 days but I feel this isn’t realistic.

Worried about the Voc’s and toxic fumes as polyurethane is the worst.

I looked into liquid epoxys and poly acrylics. But one is to expensive and the other isn’t very water resistant.
 

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
387
Points
73
Experience
More than 10 years
dwarfpufferlover said:
Hello, has anyone used polyurethane to clear coat their stands?

If so how long did you wait until you felt comfortable putting your tank up. I planned on 5 days but I feel this isn’t realistic.

Worried about the Voc’s and toxic fumes as polyurethane is the worst.

I looked into liquid epoxys and poly acrylics. But one is to expensive and the other isn’t very water resistant.
Polyurethane will completely cure in 5 days. The only other danger with polyurethane is that if its not completely cured besides the fumes is it reacting with the plastic of your aquarium frame and making a permanent bond. This can be avoided by rubbing the polyurethane where the tank will sit with a candle. The wax will prevent sticking.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Messages
572
Reaction score
264
Points
93
Experience
2 years
finnipper59 said:
Polyurethane will completely cure in 5 days. The only other danger with polyurethane is that if its not completely cured besides the fumes is it reacting with the plastic of your aquarium frame and making a permanent bond. This can be avoided by rubbing the polyurethane where the tank will sit with a candle. The wax will prevent sticking.
Thank you for the candle wax tip.

I have been moving states and I decided to redo and waterproof stands to last longer at the same time

I will wait it out longer as suggested. Its been cold, rainy, then humid so drying times are awful.
 

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
387
Points
73
Experience
More than 10 years
dwarfpufferlover said:
Thank you for the candle wax tip.

I have been moving states and I decided to redo and waterproof stands to last longer at the same time

I will wait it out longer as suggested. Its been cold, rainy, then humid so drying times are awful.
Yeah...high humidity doesn't help much, but it's best to do things right the 1st time. Good luck.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom