Wacky PH readings

1. h

hross Valued Member Member

Hi Fishlore,

I was testing tap ph before water change today and I'm getting 6.4 on the regular API ph test, 8.4 on the high range test. Lately in has been right around 7.4-7.8 so I was using both tests to be sure. My tank water is what I expect: low range ph reads dark blue 7.6, high range 8.0 (this is about normal for my tank).

So I'm holding off on my water change b/c I don't know if the tap ph is really 6.4 or 8.4. I tested several times. I don't get it. And what the heck am I going to do if it's really 6.4? Our poor fishies will be shocked.

My tap ph is usually on the high side. We had recent flooding in central texas and I know they've been struggling with treating the water. Maybe that's affecting the ph.

Any ideas?

Thanks !

2. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Maybe you have some contaminates in the viles? or clean them real good and try again? Let the tap water age for a day and test it.
    With such a huge swing, I would be inclined to think contaminates.
    Just some suggestions. Good luck

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

This doesn't make much sense....hmmm.
    It doesn't appear to be the test if its working correctly on the tank.

Take a gallon of water and aerate it for a number of hours and see if the ph comes up. If not, only do very small water changes until it rises again (no more than 25%). If its due to the flooding, it should come up after a week or two.

4. OP
    OP
    h

hross Valued Member Member

Well, tested the water that sat overnight and got 7.4 on low range test, 8.4 on high range. So I called the API number, they couldn't tell me why I'm getting such a difference. I talked to my water treatment guy, he assured me they aren't adding anything to affect ph right now and he's getting readings around 8.3. So I'm going with the high range reading.

Went ahead and did the water change this evening. Fishies seem happy as can be so far.

Thanks for the replies y'all!