V's New Coloration and Finnage Type ID

poeticinjustices

HI everyone

So I decided to post a video of V since he's got so much new color and his fins are healing from the rot and damage he incurred in the cup. The white tips on his dorsal fin are fading and the tips of the ridges are lengthening. The fin rot on his upper tail fin is gone and new growth is present, but the new rays are a little crooked. There were random spots on his fins that appeared thin and colorless, those appear to be filling in now. His color is becoming more vibrant and bold and opaque, particularly on his scales.

Watching him heal and grow, I've been curious about what kind of finnage he has, but I'm having a hard time IDing it. He came labelled a "dumbo eared delta" and the dumbo ears are obviously accurate but I read a delta tail is supposed to be straight edge and not split, V's caudal fin is neither. His scales are also weird, they do not overlap at all, I can see where each scale begins and ends (he's not bloated, this is consistent over his entire body and the scales are flat). It's hard to see in the video but the scales themselves are lavendar with darker purple outlining between scales I guess, they also seem to be taking on an orange gleam and the scales become larger toward his tail.

I realize he's a pet store fish and therefore likely a mutt, but I'd be interested to hear what you guys think he's got going on in there.

So he's got those weird scales and "shark teeth" edges on his fins. His tail is partially split with 2 individual rays at the center of the split like a CT. His analfin is also partially split, but I think this may be damage as it seems to look a little smaller.

There is one thing I was hoping you all could look at for me...I think it's easiest to see around 3:20 +/- 15 seconds in the video. Right in the center of his dorsal fin, there's a single white dot, like a large ich cyst. It's been there a week and half now and hasn't changed. I cannot tell if it's raised or not and it doesn't bother him at all. Is it just a weird defect in his color?

He's an awesome fish, aside from being the pickiest eater ever, so I'm not worried, just mostly curious and hoping your expert eyes might be of assistance I tried to use the mirror to get him to flare but he had just been doing as much for several minutes before the video so lost some interest haha.

EDIT: One other note, his ventral fins are asymmetrical, one being about half the length of the other. The longer one is crimson with an additional white strip that extends further down. The other, shorter one, is just crimson. I initially thought this was damage and perhaps it still is (as he has some white left on the shorter one too) but I haven't seen any change so I'm wondering if it's just a variation?

garikapc

Cool! Not familiar with betta varieties but you can always use the old field bio trick. When confronted with some tree you don't know? Surely it is hybrid!

poeticinjustices

Haha that's just a fancy word for mutt, which I am sure he is

Tonia

I must have been away when you posted pics of V's tank.. I just have to tell you that I LOVE the way you decorated that tank!! That is so unique, very cool and so exotic at the same time! Looks perfect for him!

poeticinjustices

Haha I just finished decorating it today, the centerpiece arrived. And yes, there's a post on it in Member Fish Tanks

Thank you! It wasn't exactly what I wanted, the votives are a bit larger and I didn't get enough of the clear glass gravel which I was going to fill them with, so I just ended up filing the terrarium. But I'm pretty happy with it and I'll modify more in time. V's even happier than I am, here I thought he was already a happy fish, decorating his tank brought out even more personality.

_Fried_Bettas_

Even with all the video, it is hard to say anything definitive about his form because he doesn't seem to be interested in flaring at the mirror. I couldn't even rule out the possibility of him being a doubletail considering where his tail is split, but one would assume that they would call him a doubletail if he was so I suppose it is damage.

Calling a betta a delta tail doesn't tell you much because most most single tail long fin bettas and many short fin varieties can be called a delta. A halfmoon is a delta with 180 caudal spread, and most crowntails could even be called deltas, just simply ones with extreme web reduction.

It would be nice to see him in a full flare. I imagine that he is at least a superdelta (120 caudal spread) or perhaps even a full halfmoon, but without that full flare it is impossible to say. It is hard to get some males to flare, even using other bettas rather than a mirror, depending on their personality.

He looks more like a cull from a dumbo halfmoon line than your typical pet shop mutt. Culled probably due to lacking halfmoon spread, poor ventrals, and perhaps condition, if some of that splitting occurred prior to being sent to the store. Most pet shop bettas are either low quality, high volume fish farm "mutt" bettas, or culls from breeders trying to produce higher quality fish, you just never know for sure.

poeticinjustices

_Fried_Bettas_ - I was looking forward to your reply

He wasn't too interested in flaring as he'd just been doing it for several minutes prior to my brilliant idea of getting it on video haha. I can tell when he's in the mood for a good flare though as he starts flaring at the moss ball so I'll get him next time

Thanks!

poeticinjustices

_Fried_Bettas_ - Got him. Muahaha. That was a lucky shot. He started flaring before I even had the mirror up against the glass entirely.

Oh and just to clarify, it's the split in the analfin I thought might be damaged, not the one in his caudal fin. I guess that one could be damage too but it really doesn't appear to have changed at all and tI seems odd to call damage because the 2 little rays in the middle of the split are kind of perfectly smooth, don't look like they were shredded at all. I'm not even sure the one in his analfin is damage, it might be closing up but it might also just be my perception.

Attachments

• 1401565215603.jpg
    1401565215603.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 1401565230369.jpg
    1401565230369.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 132

NCE12940

Stunning!

kwhitworth83

I have nothing useful to add to this conversation but wanted to say V is beautiful. Reminds me of a silk kimono for some reason.

Micaela13

I LOVE your tank setup it's gorgeous! And V is looking amazing

poeticinjustices

Thanks guys. It's been really special watching his transformation. All that red and blue is new, he came to me almost entirely purple and white. It's exciting!
kwhitworth83 - I always think of flower petals when I look at his flns, especially the pectorals. The ripple for days when he swims because they are so large haha.

_Fried_Bettas_

He looks halfmoon to me, that split in his fins will probably never heal up but he looks pretty healthy to me otherwise. Pretty boy, I like the colors

petaddiction

I think he is a halfmoon too... definitely resembles Rio's shape. V just has moreee I don't know how to explain it.. ruffles maybe? haha I'm not sure, but I do believe he is a halfmoon and the tear just makes it difficult to see. Has the tear been there since you got him(I forget)? Did the store mark him as a certain type of betta?

poeticinjustices

I think he is a halfmoon too... definitely resembles Rio's shape. V just has moreee I don't know how to explain it.. ruffles maybe? haha I'm not sure, but I do believe he is a halfmoon and the tear just makes it difficult to see. Has the tear been there since you got him(I forget)? Did the store mark him as a certain type of betta?

The split has always been there and while it's obviously abnormal, it's hard to imagine it's damage (pretty sure the one in his analfin is though, that, too, has been there from the start). The one in his caudal fin looks too...purposeful. The 2 rays in between the split have clean edges and round tips. It looks likes some kind of defect. But then again I'm certainly not the pro haha and I certainly can't find any photos of bettas that look like that. I don't like the idea of my betta being injured but, if it is damage, it actually looks kinda cool haha, the wide split with 2 little CT-like rays in the middle, I guess it just adds character The one in his analfin I definitely believe to be damage and it actually does look like it's getting smaller. Pretty sure the ventral fin is also damaged, that's why one is shorter and missing the long, white tip. Maybe it'll grow back, maybe not. There was some fin rot from the cup, but none that I could see around the split in his caudal fin, just a little nick in the top "lobe" of his caudal fin (you can kinda see it in the first pic, it's smaller now and the rot is actually gone) had some rot and some white tips on the ridges of his dorsal fin. Those are all but gone now, he healed up on his own with clean water, a little AQ salt, some Fish Protector and a diet enriched with variety (well, as varied as he'll accept haha), Garlic Guard and VitaChem. He's pretty much healed up. And whether the tear is damage or defect, he's still my favorite betta boy haha The only thing that remains is this weird white dot right in the middle of his dorsal fin, like an Ich cyst but I don't think it's raised. It hasn't changed, grown or spread in the 2 weeks I've had him so honestly I have no idea what it is but I'm not stressing about it after 2 weeks. Probably just weird color morph or something.

The store marked him as a "dumbo eared delta" petaddiction but I started doubting that pretty soon after I saw him flare for the first time haha. I think he's halfmoon too, now that I know halfmoon is defined by the 180 degree caudal spread. It was the dumbo ears I fell in love with. When I spotted him it was from 10feet away, peeking under the label on his cup, wiggling those giant dumbo pectorals. Then, as you know, I went and got a closer look. I walked away, somehow. But then I couldn't stop thinking about him, so I went back the next day. And the rest is history haha. Still wish I had had the space for the mustard gas as well but, given the choice, it would have been V every time.

_Fried_Bettas_

It could very well been that his fins were torn when he was a juvie and then grew around the split. Little juvies can get pretty rough with each other if you don't separate them soon enough.

poeticinjustices

It could very well been that his fins were torn when he was a juvie and then grew around the split. Little juvies can get pretty rough with each other if you don't separate them soon enough.

Ah that makes all kinds of sense, thank you. Sad he got roughed up, but it grew in kind of interesting, I have to say I kinda dig it.

petaddiction

@ddmuir Here is V currently!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cooperman411
  • Question
Replies
Views
NightCrow
Replies
Views