Volun-dopted Betta - assistance/feedback requested

cdw202x

Yesterday night, I received a betta. The woman who gave him to me had little information, but she said she no longer had the space for him.

She let me know she had felt bad for him and saved him from the petstore since he seemed to be in bad condition. She also stated that she had been treating him with 'a full round' of API general cure. The fish, she reported, has put on weight since she brought him home and his energy level fine. The biggest issue is his right eye, which seems to be clouded over completely.

And so I have him as of 9.30pm last night. Although pursuing through the forums and internet, I am looking for feedback as well, since this is (luckily!) the first time I have dealt with any issues with fish--he will be my third betta.

The first pic with black rocks is when she brought him home. The remaining pics are ones I took last night, before taking him out of the little cup he came in. Obviously, the issue that jumps out is the white/gray/clouded right eye; also in some of the pictures of his left side, I can see elongated bumps on his side. I am thinking there was some damage (permanent?) to the right eye. However, he does swim in all directions perfectly fine, and seems to have a healthy appetite (I used soaked Northfin pellets and frozen brine shrimp this morning). He doesn't seem to be pineconing and doesn't lay on his side when resting. And FWIW, he will be permanetly housed by himself in a 5 gallon tank, but is currently in a quarantine tank during evaluation and possible fix.

Feedback is appreciated!

cdw202x

Hi folks,
thought I would bump this up and see if anyone had any input? I'd appreciate it!

Deku-Cory

I'm guessing the eye problem will be permanent. It could have been caused by an injury, infection, genetics, or something else. If he's acting happy and healthy, I don't see any reason to try any sort of medication or treatment. He seems quite alert in the pictures you took!

Fisheye

I agree with Deku-Cory about the eye. That betta is very lucky to have ended up in your care.

"Volundopted"...love it.

Do you have everything you need to keep fish-water conditioner, water test kit, aquarium only buckets and hoses, heater?

cdw202x

Fisheye said:
I agree with Deku-Cory about the eye. That betta is very lucky to have ended up in your care.

"Volundopted"...love it.

Do you have everything you need to keep fish-water conditioner, water test kit, aquarium only buckets and hoses, heater?
Yup-- I have the supplies from my other two bettas! I'm decent with plants, so along that thought... maybe that's why I was given this fish (and since I already have two healthy ones).

And Volun-dopted-- I get 'volun-told' at work to do things, so I just adapted the word!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom