Vol. Lion would not eat

Bear2

I purchase a 3" Vol. Lion last Thursday from a very reliable Local Fish Store (LFS). Was told it was eating krill and silversides.
Placed the fish in main tank because I knew the store, and never had a problem with any diseases.
The fish would not eat the krill I purchased when I bought the lion. After three days, I went back and bought some frozen silversides. Again would not eat for a couple days. Cut up some raw shrimp, same result. Went back and bought some Rosey Reds, and BANG, and two hours later add another Rosey and BANG again. Not a problem eating live food. Found an article stating Lions should be fed live food for a couple weeks to a month to get them acclimated to their new tank and mates, then switch to frozen.
Next problem, converting to the frozen, might require several days of starving, per the same article.
Hope this helps anyone in the same predicament.

Aquarist

Hello Bear and Welcome to Fish Lore. You had posted in a thread that was a bit old. I've created you a new thread and you should receive more responses. Congrats on your new additon!
Ken

Bear2

first non live food

After the recommended two week to a month acclimation using live food, I tried frozen again. No luck with krill or silversidesm so I tried a chunk of raw shrimp. Bang, he nailed it yesterday. Hopefully I can continue.

Bear2

second shrimp

Two days later he took a second chunk of raw & thawed shrimp. He will not eat krill or silversides which according to all I have read are the preferred frozen foods to use. Supposedly live red roseys which he loves are not nutritious enough. Is it OK to continue to use chunks of raw shrimp?
Please advise.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom