Viv dirt fert - fish water?

bmuckluck

Reaction score
Hey there! I have a crested gecko and I want to add a few plants. I use coconut husk eco earth substrate... I'm thinking If I add some water from my fish tank when expanding the substrate that would act as a natural fertilizer for the plants? This is just a thought, as I am not sure if nitrates do the same thing for non aquatic plants or if it would even work. I already have springbugs in there.. I don't want to switch substrates as I'm happy with this one and my gecko has had this type for 12 years. The plants are a snake plant and plumosa fern. They are both small and getting destroyed by my cat so instead of getting rid of them I know they would be safe in there.
Opinions welcome!
Thanks in advance!

mrsP

Reaction score
I use aquarium water to my garden flowers and plants, and they seem to like it. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't?

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, like mrsP said, I use my fish tank water to water my vegetables. The tomatoes love it!

I think it would work, but I have no experience with eco earth, so don’t quote me on that.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
If you want love plants you will likely need more than cocoa coir.
Check our Josh’s frogs for the substrate they use. Yes aquarium water will work but don’t expect it to be a miracle cure. I’d add some soily substrate from joshs frogs for a more natural complete food for the plants.

New Threads