Vita-chem okay for all my fish? Help

1. jaetee Initiate Member

:helpsmilie: I have a 10 gal. tank with 1 betta, 5 split tail guppys, 5 fancy tail guppys, 1 african dwarf frog, and 3 peppered cory cats.

First let me state MY BETTA IS NOT A PROBLEM HERE!!!!! He loves his tank mates and leaves them all alone. He is very easy going, happy, and couldn't possibly care any less who is in the tank with him. It has been this way for about three weeks now (which is how long I have had said Betta).

The question I have is I have 5 guppy's that have nipped fins (3 fancy and 2 split tail). I identified the culprit (a fancy guppy) and have removed said bully from the tank.....anyone want him? Any who...I was wondering if I could use vita-chem with out harming my other fish. Or do I need to quarantine these five fish and treat them and then add them back into the tank once their fins grow back? And about how long will it take for their fins to grow back? None of them appear to have body damage just fin damage so I am pretty certain they will grow back.

I am doing weekly 10% water changes...thinking about moving it up to twice a week. I have read that this will sometimes help in the fin regrowth? Yes? I am don't know what my readings are I have just been taking my water into Petsmart and having them test it for me. Which they say all is good. I think that is about all you might need to help answer this question. I filled out the aquarium info so you can look there also. Thank you in advance for the help.

Long question short. Can I use vita-chem in my tank with out harming my fish that don't have nipped fins? Or is there a better medicine that I could use to do this? Or should I just not treat at all?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

vita chem is great for ALL fish...

3. ray_sj Member Member

Vita-Chem is not a medication, just a vitamin supplement. I use it in my guppy tanks regularly without any problems. It does help with regenerating fins.

If the nips are not too bad, keeping the water clean with extra water changes will be enough to heal them. If there is a whitish or red edge on the damaged fin, I would consider using the MelaFix/PimaFix herbal medications. They work great whenever I have damaged fins.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fl :)

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Some garlic juice (minced garlic in a jar from the grocery store) will help as well. Garlic acts as an immune system booster. Great for fish and humans too. You can add it to their food or just a drop or to into the tank itself. (works best when ingested though) Too, there is a product called Garlic Gard at the pet store that will help too.

If you can't get to the store for Vita Chem and Garlic then pristine water conditions will do just fine. They shouldn't take too long to heal and look normal.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Dont use melafix with the betta in the tank, it will cause him problems and possibly death.

Great suggestions above with the garlic, vita chem and pristine water.

7. jaetee Initiate Member

Cool thanks guys. I ordered a bottle of Vita-chem online, and am going to up my 10% water changes to twice a week. Hopefully the fin regrowth goes well.

How long can you keep a fish in a breeding net? I put my bully guppy that was doing the fin nipping in one and am just wondering how long I can keep him in there. I just want to give my other fish (the 6 that he nipped especially) time to grow a little bigger and maybe become more dominate in the tank.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

in that size tank, it wont stop...you need 1 male guppy to 3-4 females for a tank to be happy...any others will compete for the fems and nipping will go on forever..even the ones being nipped will start doing it especially in a 10g tank

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I know you don't want to hear this, but you are grossly overcrowded. You have 14 fish and a frog, including a fighter, in a 10 gallon tank. I'd think you were pushing it if you had 8 fish, and you have almost double that. As your fish get bigger, things are going to get worse, not better. Fish can get aggressive when they are stressed. Being around incompatible fish can stress them, but so can poor water conditions and also overcrowding.

If you aren't able to upgrade to a bigger tank or get an additional, is it an option for you to rehome some of your fish?

You mention that you know about the nitrogen cycle - do you know if your tank is cycled? Would you mind posting your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? Do you know if the weekly readings have been fluctuating or if they've been steady?

Also, upping the amount in your water changes may be helpful. 10% a week isn't very much - you may want to do 30-50% instead.

Thanks

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Betta and guppies sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, unfortunately. I've seen a betta kill guppies in just a couple of hours. Or, any fish that becomes a fin nipper will shred the betta's fins. 3 weeks of having this setup work doesn't imply long term success. ;)

I agree with the others that the tank is overstocked. I'd suggest finding a new home for the guppies and frog and just keeping the betta and cories. In my experience, bettas tend to not bother cories, and your tank would be close to the stocking limit.

11. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I agree that the tank is overstocked but judging from your original post you wont listen anyway so will continue to have problems. I agree with harpue, meenu and shawnie.

12. jaetee Initiate Member

I was told that the cory's and frog don't count toward the 1 inch of fish to gallon of water total. I gather this is a lie. THAT they do count. That is why I got so many guppies. I now only have 4 split and 4 fancy tail guppies, the frog, the betta and the 3 cory's.

Rehousing isn't really an option. I don't have the budget to buy another or bigger tank. I have already gone WAY over budget with this one. I had my water checked today at Petsmart not sure what the readings are but I do know that they aren't good. My ammonia, nitrite and ph are all way to high. Not sure what happened. I changed my filter two weeks ago and ever since then my water has been dusty looking.

And Diggly I would listen. If it were possible for me to do so. Aside from returning all my fish to the store and starting over I am in a bind. I just did what the Petsmart employees said I could and what I read online. I read SEVERAL places that you could house a betta with guppies. Even people on here have said they have successfully housed betta's with guppies together. I was also never informed about the male to female ratio when I started. I thought I was fine because that is how you find them at the the pet store. all the males in one tank and the females in another.

I just need help with my water now. I don't know what is going on there. But it's not good.

13. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Is there any way you could buy a liquid test kit, like the API Master kit? Chain stores often use test strips, which are pretty much junk, and you won't get an accurate reading. If you have detectable ammonia or nitrite, your tank has either not completed its initial nitrogen cycle, or is in a mini cycle (possibly from the filter media swap?). Water changes are necessary to bring down ammonia and nitrite levels, both of which are very toxic to fish. During the time your tank is cycling, do not disturb the filter. When it comes time to clean the filter, rinse the filter pad in a bucket of old tank water and reuse it until it falls apart.

14. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Well its your tank and your decision, I have read the opposite that bettas see the guppys flowing fins as too much of a temptation. the only problem with bettas is they can be ok for a few weeks or months then decide that enough is enough.

can you not return any fish for store credit? or sometimes craigs list has some good deals on tanks or even free ones.

I would suggest you do daily water changes using prime which will detox the ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours while your tank gets over your mini cycle.