Violet’s 32g First Tank

VioletKeepsFish

This is a tank that has been running for quite a while now, but unfortunately most of that was spent in a rather sad state. I started this with the intent of making an aquarium I could be proud of, and as of this week I have finally achieved that. This first post will document the changes it has gone through so far and include photos, and I’ll post any future updates as replies.

[Sometime about a year ago]
Tank gets set up, cycled. As of now it has a piece of mopani wood, two amazon swords, and an anubias. I add 3 golden pristella tetras as a start. However, I then get incredibly busy with school and have zero time to properly think about the tank. Around this time one of the fish dies. A month or two later another one dies and I get another 2. The algae was getting out of control at this point, so I do a blackout. The anubias was fine, but the swords didn’t make it through the blackout.

[Around December of 2020]
After doing the bare minimum maintenance to the tank for a long time, I finally have time to tend to the aquarium. I get 3 more pristella tetras, 1 pearl gourami, and a starlight BN. I also get 2 more swords. A few days later I notice the Gourami is being very skittish and shy, so I go back and get another pearl. I also get some duckweed for cover and nesting, not realizing pearl gouramis eat duckweed.

[About 1 week ago]
I get 4 amano shrimp to deal with the BBA, and I start dosing the tank with excel. I also get some ohko stone to give the tank some more hardscape. I try to bleach dip the anubias but I accidentally leave it out of water and it dies (stupidest mistake I’ve ever made). A couple days later 3/4 of the amano shrimp are missing. I find them in the filter compartment in the back of my tank. I get them back in after 30 minutes of playing shrimp chase and add a prefilter sponge.

Hopefully I can make this tank something to be proud of despite my questionable previous care standards. The Pearls have decimated the duckweed to the point where it’s almost gone, so I’m looking into buying more floaters. I also think my female Pearl might be carrying eggs, so that’s exciting.

Pictures below! Currently there’s a bit more algae than I would like but oh well.

StarGirl

Very nice!

Brp933

Beautiful tank! Might I suggest salvinia minima for a floater? I have it in my 40 breeder and 35 tall corner with a lid and good surface agitation and it still grows well. Not as annoying as duckweed when doing maintenance imo.

VioletKeepsFish

Brp933 said:
Beautiful tank! Might I suggest salvinia minima for a floater? I have it in my 40 breeder and 35 tall corner with a lid and good surface agitation and it still grows well. Not as annoying as duckweed when doing maintenance imo.
Those look nice! I like the long roots. I might get those as frogbit is banned for sale in my state.

Brp933

VioletKeepsFish said:
Those look nice! I like the long roots. I might get those as frogbit is banned for sale in my state.
Aquaticarts.com and i think buceplant.com sells portions of it for a fare price. If you have 50 or more posts on this forum you can also use the buy, sell, trade, free section of this forum to buy from members on here as well. Best of luck!

VioletKeepsFish

So I’ve been dealing with a bit of an outbreak of green spot algae that my amanos won’t touch. I’m going to order some Zebra Nerites to try to control it.

Good news, the BBA on the back of my tank is practically gone due to the amano shrimp, those guys are truly the best cleaners. I recently got some assassin snails to deal with the bladder snails in my tank, as their population was a bit large.

Other than that, the tank has been going very well!

Latest threads

Top Bottom