Violet Goby

Christopher

Reaction score
I wanted to get a violet goby(A.K.A dragon goby but after doing research somesites said that i need a minimum of a 30g tank and another said i need a 55g tank and that the goby can get to be as long as 15 inches long, but i also know that fish won't grow to their full size if they don't have the room to grow. so do you guys/girls think it would be ok to get one

P.S. I also wanted to know the same thing about the rope fish

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was reading about the goby last night and read the same thing - about 15" long....maybe there is a dwarf version out there somewhere?? They are cool fish, but my common pleco is going to take up too much room as it is, even in my 90g, so I scratched the goby off my wishlist :-\ Someone here at fishlore has a goby (or has had one) that can confirm size, I'll bet. Good luck!
Denise

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish who have the potential to get large and are kepts in tanks too small can be stunted and live shorter lives. One of the reasons we keep fish(I hope) is in part to see them display their natural personalities as much as possible.
Both of those fish when kept in aquaria where they can stretch and grow are fascinating fish.
so I guess my answer to your question is no I don't think it would be a good idea to get either fish unless you can provide the size tank and the tank mates to give them a good happy life.
Carol

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Dragon Goby up to quite recently which I lost because of human error..I'm still mourning that loss while kicking myself for making the mistake I did,using the wrong substrate.
Gobies do well in large tanks(55gal. and up)..they like a hidie-hole by day since they tend to be more active at night..the tank should be a covered one since they are quite capable of a coil&spring action that could see them jumping out of their tank..finally,a small grain of gravel should be used as the substrate for the tank because they feed by scooping mouthfulls of gravel and food and whatever else and spitting out what they don't need..also,they're not comfortable with other Gobies sharing their tank..hope my input helps..good luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom