Violet Goby starving himself. *EMERGENCY PLEASE*

dommyturtles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I have had my violet goby for about almost a year now. (I bought a pair but they fought and one died) and he has been thriving in my aquarium for a long time. He use to be about 4 inches, but now he is about 6 1/2 inches. I already knew he needs brackish water, so my lps told me to use cichlid salt. I have been using it for a while and it has helped him a lot.

However, I had decided to take all my angelfish out of the aquarium and moved them somewhere else, and restocked with balloon mollies so that I can increase the levels of salt in the tank. Well even before the angelfish left he has started hiding more. Once the mollies came I rearranged the aquarium only a tiny bit, and left his cave alone. However, he has left it!

Now he is hiding underneath another aquarium ornament in the corner of the aquarium and is causing so much destruction! he is literally making piles of sand everywhere and is bringing all the gravel under my sand up. (I have a layer of gravel with sand on top in my tank)

"""here is where my concern is""""

Currently he is back there, rarely comes out or anything and just hides. I feed him what I always have which he loves (hikarI carnivore pellets) but now he just refuses it. He swims in place and PUSHES!!!! the food out of his area so that he doesn't have to eat it. I have even tried blood worms, but he does the same thing. He is getting more and more skinny by the moment, and I don't want him to die because he is so cute.

I have bought Instant ocean sea salt and have added the apparently correct dosage for a brackish setup now so hopefully this helps, but does anyone else know what to do? My water parameters are all normal, but I feel as if my pH is what may be causing it too

Nitrate - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm
pH - 8.0

Current tank livestock and size
55gal

1 rainbow shark
1 black fin tetra
2 koI angelfish
5 zebra danios
4 hatchet fish
20 balloon mollies
1 sailfin molly
2 lyretail mollies
1 freshwater flounder

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give as much info as possible. I will be taking out the hatchets and angelfish if I have to increase the salt more. I only added enough to get to a salt level of 1.001-1.003, I will be increasing overtime. Thank you all.

AWheeler

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just got one of these guys and did notice that it didn't seem to be really eating anything. I made a batch of baby brine shrimp and put it in the tank right near him. He started opening his mouth and like sucking at the water, so I'm guessing that he is eating them. I also threw some cichlid pellets at the bottom of my tank last night that are not there this morning, I did it right before I turned off the lights to the tank, I'm not sure if the other fish got to it, or if the goby did.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would rehome him. Your tank isn't large enough for him, nor is it stocked appropriately for a brackish tank (and it's overstocked and has stocking incompatibilities). I know it's hard, but it's best for him to be in a larger tank with the property environment (higher salinity without freshwater fish sharing the tank).

OP
dommyturtles

dommyturtles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That would be the issue. I only have 1 empty tank which is a 30 gallon, but I already have cichlids coming in to fill that one in so I can't do that. The only tanks I have left are a 125 angelfish and blue lobster aquarium, 55 goldfish, 10 betta. and 10 hex glofish with pleco.

I only kept the koI angelfish in the 55 because they were super aggressive to my other angelfish and were trying to kill them. I don't know what to do with the shark but I'm not getting rid of him because I had him for years. And the rest of the fish have no where else to go. my room is overstock with fish tanks and I can not fit anymore so this is a rough situation. The only thing I have left is an empty, unused 5.5gallon tank that I was going to use for a quarantine.

AWheeler

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Build the goldfish a pond and put the cichlids in the 55 gal with goldfish in it and then put the goby in the 30 gal for right now... The other 55 that has the mix match of stuff in it...I don't know what to tell you. But for some reason, I don't remember seeing all those other fish in it when I first posted, mollies can handle brackish,but you don't want 20some in a 30 gal tank either.... I have no idea about the freshwater flounder...but the rest can't, to my knowledge.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you don't have room for him, then you need to rehome him. Give him back to your LFS or find another home for him. I know it's tough, and you want to keep him, but it's not healthy for him to be in a tank that's too small or in a tank that's not the proper environment.

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have too many fish and not enough space for them. Keeping them incorrectly isn't an option, and will only give you problems.

OP
dommyturtles

dommyturtles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't afford a pond (even though I would like one) plus there are a lot of goldfish in the aquarium so....yeah. And the 30 gallon is already set up for the cichlids. Also, I have the freshwater flounder in a breeder net because he always got lost in the aquarium and did not come out for food, and when he did the fish would eat it on him. I got him at the size of a nickel and now he is the size of a quarter. But would it be okay if I put him (the flounder inside) and keep the tank for himself so that his growth won't be stunned from the net?

Anyway about the goby. I have just emtied my second 5.5 gallon aquarium because I had baby bettas and they were adopted. Would this be okay for a temporary holding tank for the goby so that he can get better until I find something else for him? Thanks again everyone.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
dommyturtles said:
I can't afford a pond (even though I would like one) plus there are a lot of goldfish in the aquarium so....yeah. And the 30 gallon is already set up for the cichlids. Also, I have the freshwater flounder in a breeder net because he always got lost in the aquarium and did not come out for food, and when he did the fish would eat it on him. I got him at the size of a nickel and now he is the size of a quarter. But would it be okay if I put him (the flounder inside) and keep the tank for himself so that his growth won't be stunned from the net?

Anyway about the goby. I have just emtied my second 5.5 gallon aquarium because I had baby bettas and they were adopted. Would this be okay for a temporary holding tank for the goby so that he can get better until I find something else for him? Thanks again everyone.
No. A 5.5 gal is way too small. You really need to rehome him if you can't get a large tank for him (where you can make it brackish and won't stock with freshwater fish).

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It would likely be okay for a short period of time since he's only the size of a quarter, but he'll need an upgrade as he grows. You may want to think about rehoming him if you can't add more tanks - they're not your normal community fish.

OP
dommyturtles

dommyturtles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, he shouldn't be in there too long. I just don't want him in a breeder net. I would release him but each time I did he never came out to eat so he was going to starve.

Anyway, thanks so much. You really helped me out a lot. If anyone still has advice then feel free to continue this.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what you describe of his behavior sounds like he has made a nest and is looking for a female to mate with. But I don't know much about that species

TrainerRuby

Reaction score
Dragon gobies tend to be a more nocturnal fish. At least from my experience. Mine comes out during the day but he moves about more at night. Try putting a red film over a flash light and looking in the tank at night if you don't have one use your phone light but don't point it at the tank directly. A 55 gallon is big enough for a dragon goby when they're young but they get pretty big and I would say a 55 is only big enough for an adult if he's the only one in the tank. And that's even pushing it. See if you can get yourself at least a 120 gallon tank for the mollies and goby. Your freshwater flounder is most likely a hogchocker and I believe they need ocean water once they're grown but live in brackish when young but I could be wrong about that. Anyway go for a 120 gallon tank for them with a sg of 1.008-1.010

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would buy a larger tank right now rather than wasting money on a 55 gal. And I'd say minimum 180 gal so it's 6 feet long and 2 feet wide. It is definitely not appropriate for a 55 gal as an adult. They can get up to 2 feet, and it's definitely not appropriate to put them in a 4 x 1 ft tank. Putting them in a tank that's too small is selfish and not fair to him, and if you can't provide a large enough tank, you need to rehome him.

TrainerRuby

Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
I would buy a larger tank right now rather than wasting money on a 55 gal. And I'd say minimum 180 gal so it's 6 feet long and 2 feet wide. It is definitely not appropriate for a 55 gal as an adult. They can get up to 2 feet, and it's definitely not appropriate to put them in a 4 x 1 ft tank. Putting them in a tank that's too small is selfish and not fair to him, and if you can't provide a large enough tank, you need to rehome him.
Hmm I've always hearted 120 was big enough. Guess I'll be getting a bigger tank as well

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just my personal opinion. A tank that's only 18" wide doesn't seem wide enough for a fish that can reach 25". A 24" wide tank is much better!

OP
dommyturtles

dommyturtles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has tried to help. His appetite has finally come back after I increased the salinity of the water. He is starting to get his chubbiness back like he use to have which makes me happy.

The only problem I am having now is that my fish are starting to get sick. (cloudy bodies, swimming impaired, lost appetite, clamped fins) Ever since I got these two mollies from Petco, they had a fungus. One cleared up, but the other died. I also had marble hatchets from the same store that all died in less than a week. I feel like they may have contaminated the water and many fish have died. So far I have lost the following:

6 marble hatchets
1 balloon molly
1 dwarf gourami
1 sailfin molly

Currently sick:
1 sailfin molly
1 balloon molly
More could increase.

I am treating the tank with melafix and have the sick ones in quarantine with fungus clear. If symptoms start showing more, I will buy new medication, but does anyone else know what to do?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Depending on what you have in the tank with him, only the mollies can handle the brackish water conditions well. The goby really needs to be in a separate setup from the other community fish.

What are your current water parameters (pH, temp, salinity, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

New Threads