Violet Goby Not Eating.

Kohlt22

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the fish scene. I currently have 3 aquariums that are up and running. One fresh, one light brackish, and one that is currently not in use (still educating myself about salt water). Anyways, 3-4 months ago I bought a violet goby (dragon fish) from Walmart under the impression it was freshwater, which I later learned was false. I never witnessed him eat in the freshwater tank but he keeps growing in length so I converted him over to the brackish for about 2 weeks now but I never saw him eat either. Today I couldn't stand to see him suffer because towards his mouth, his gills are a light reddish color. He is constantly swimming to the top of the aquarium which I've read is irregular behaviour. Currently in my fw tank he is perfectly content and cruising in the sand. Is it proven they are 100% brackish? And if he still alive, that means he has to be eating right? He is slender but is about 5-6 inches longer than when I purchased him. I feed all of my fish a variety of about 6 different foods. My salinity in there is on the low end 1.004. I truly would appreciate any advice, thank you!

Kohlt22

Reaction score
Nitrate - 0
Nitrate - .5
Hardness - 150
Alkalinity - 180
Ph - 7.8
Temp -73

The tank is a 50 gallon with a thick sand substrate, a few fake plants. Live didn't work out well in there. I acclimated him over a few weeks when I found out he was a brackish species. I might have rushed the process because I did not want him to suffer in the fw tank. I do a water change on all of my aquariums every Thursday evening, normally I syphon it out (30-40%) and clean the sand as well. I have been attempting to feed him blood worms (frozen but thawed) every 2 nights, shrimp pellets (daily), ghost shrimp (No go), crushed flakes ( Def nope), tiny tiny bits of crushed fish (unsure if he touches). He currently has one mate which is a GSP that I have been trying to rehome for months. The puffer only eats live ghost shrimp, refuses anything else. I transferred the goby back to the brackish tank last night when I noticed he was gasping for air in the fw. He is back to his hide outs and patrolling the sand.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Care Sheet for Dragon Goby

Here is a care sheet on violet gobies. If you tab up, you can get to the brackish water subforum. Hopefully there keepers with hands on experience can help guide you to a solution.

Bloodworms are good. Blackworms are also good, as are algae wafers / frozen seaweed.
It might be eating when you're not looking, especially if the food is dissapearing and the puffer only eats shrimp.

I hope someone can give you some better answers soon.

Kohlt22

Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
Care Sheet for Dragon Goby

Here is a care sheet on violet gobies. If you tab up, you can get to the brackish water subforum. Hopefully there keepers with hands on experience can help guide you to a solution.

Bloodworms are good. Blackworms are also good, as are algae wafers / frozen seaweed.
It might be eating when you're not looking, especially if the food is dissapearing and the puffer only eats shrimp.

I hope someone can give you some better answers soon.
Thank you, your help was greatly appreciated. I will look into that!!

Kohlt22

Reaction score
Well, I am not sure how to delete this thread. If a mod would it would be greatly appreciated. Good news is, after adding a few columbian sharks (about 3 inches long) my puffer has a much less aggresive attitude because he isn't king of the tank anymore, and by raising the salinity to 1.010 the goby was eating live brine shrimp. (In the middle of daylight!!!) Bad news is, my soon to be full marine tank will have to be resized much larger with the cats.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm glad your goby is feeling better. The thread will "age out" after a while and no longer be open for comment. But it will still be around as a resource on the board for others to search out when they have issues with their gobies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom