Violence Concern

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am getting rather worried. I had another cory die and I am starting to suspect Rusty as nothing is wrong with the water or temperature and there was no sign of anything resembling a disease at all. The previous time a portion of one cory's caudal fin went missing. I tried medicating for finrot but in fact the little creature simply up and died. However more recently a cory with no symptoms at all other than severe anxiety died. I'd previously seen Rusty charging at him in particular during feeding time, and I've noticed him actually getting more aggressive with the corys, to the point of actually biting at them. Today he definitely bit one of the smaller ones. What should I do? Could it in fact be that my betta is slowly killing off the corys? I know it's not supposd to happen but I remember that way back when when I was a kid I had a tiger barb that did the same thing, slowly harassed other fish to death.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry to say that, yes, Rusty can indeed be the culprit. He had the tank to himself for a while before the new additions and he has a very strong personality. It is simply in his nature to "defend and control" his territory. The cories are nervous enough little fish that the stress is very bad for them after a while. I was truly hoping that Rusty would accept them and settle down soon and be okay, but with the deaths now under suspicious circumstances, I am afraid that is not going to happen. Is there a way you may seperate them? He is just going to have to be a loner I am afraid. I would hesitate to suggest any other type of fish to go in with him. He would either repeat the performance he has just had with the Cories or they would beat up on him.

I am so sorry about your little guy. I do love Bettas but they can be oh so bad about their territories when they are the first one in the tank. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I do know how distressing this can be. Please let me know if I can help.

Rose
:'(

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you Rose. Yes, I have more proof as of this morning...he was harassing the two remaining corys even though they weren't eating anything he wanted. He just didn't like the idea that they MIGHT get something, possibly. Anyway, I flicked the glass, and he freaked out and is now sulking.

What I'd like to do is provide them with a shelter that he couldn't get inside, but their dorsal fins are so high that ironically he'd be able to fit with a bit of wriggling, and if it were too small I know he's stubborn enough to try anyway and injure himself. I'd rather not separate them but I may have to.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'll be grateful.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wonder if taking rusty out of his tank for 24 hrs and rearranging the tank a little before you put him back would help. It works for cichlids......
Just a shot in the dark.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I would try the suggestion that Butterfly gave you and see. I do not know any other way if you think you want to keep them together because I really do believe you are right, Rusty is stubborn enough that he will follow them anywhere you give them to hide. I hate it but he is going to have to think that he has lost his home for a bit and then going back into the cories house. If this doesn't work then they are going to have to be seperated. Just be sure that wherever he is during that time that you give him affection so he doesn't think he has been abandoned and takes it out on them when he returns.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll try that, actually. I need to get my smaller tank ready for him properly in that case since atm it is just water and some rocks in there. (need to raise the temp and add some plastic plants or he won't be very happy at all) Thank you for the suggestion. I've also tried supplementing the corys' diet with flake food, which they will eat when it reaches the bottom but which Rusty doesn't like at all. (he'll try to snatch a smaller piece but will like as not spit it out)

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feeding the corys the flake food during the day seems to have helped a lot. He chases them only occasionally now, almost as though he's just reminding them who the boss is. Other than that he investigates their feeding and then leaves. I'm not worried about the relative messiness of flake food because of my snail. Rusty is back to his old self, spending most of his time exploring the plants and occasionally glaring at his reflection.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so glad to hear it. I am doubting that you will have anymore serious problems. He seems to have learned that they are no threat to him so I hope all is now peaceful.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom