vinyl for acrylic aquarium background?

LisaAnne

Has anyone used vinyl from their local sign shop (same vinyl you see as decals on car windows) as a background for an acrylic tank? I am thinking that is the way to go and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it. I want something that can be removed in case I decide to change it later. I don't like the idea of having to remove paint from acrylic so I don't want to go that direction. Nor do I want to tape anything on... if I don't have too. Thanks!

OP
LisaAnne

LisaAnne

AnthonyC4C said:
Check out the "cling" backgrounds
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I can't find this type of cling background offered for large aquariums. I need 72" x 24". I have heard of using vinyl from a local sign shop but, I can't seem to find very much information about it's use on acrylic. I've been searching for answers about what the adhesive is made of, and if it will damage my acrylic. Also, I hear it can be removed but, the methods I read about are for removal on glass. Of course the sign shop says it can be used safely on acrylic but, I know they wanted to sell me that $50.00 piece of vinyl too! My new tank cost a lot so I really want to be sure this stuff is safe and can be removed w/o a razor if need be! I went ahead and bought a piece of black vinyl but I am afraid to put it on!!!! LOL A little more research and then I'll just have to go for it I guess.

troyvsc

Well Known
What about plastI dip. It's spray on coating. Not sure how much you would need but they run about $6 a can.

ivonko

plastI dip would work great if you are ok with a flat black, 2 cans would be plenty, 3 cans is enough to paint 4 car wheels I generally buy gloss paint and I like how that looks more than the flat personally but ive used flat before and it worked great

CatfishJack

Well Known
The vinyl sticker material is safe for the acrylic. It's the removal process if you decide to remove it later that could ​harm it.

troyvsc

Well Known
Its labeled for car use. In the infomercial they take it on and off cars so it is supposed to be removable. Can't say if it really is as I never have used the stuff personally.

CatfishJack

Well Known
it comes off fairly easily sometimes. Other times its stubborn as can be and requires a razor blade to lift from the glass.

Mer-max

Well Known
I wonder if you could take a hair dryer to it to loosen the bond and remove it?

CatfishJack

Well Known
Mer-max said:
If a hair drying accomplishes the same thing as the Arizona sun does with vinyl.. I'm going to have to say no! lol it seems to bake on!

OP
LisaAnne

LisaAnne

troyvsc said:
What about plastI dip. It's spray on coating. Not sure how much you would need but they run about $6 a can.
I hadn't even considered that before! Is it safe for acrylic and possible to remove, if need be?

Bonefish said:
The vinyl sticker material is safe for the acrylic. It's the removal process if you decide to remove it later that could ​harm it.
I am glad to hear that this is safe for my acrylic! (from someone other than the sign shop employee lol) You answered my question about removal. I was afraid that it may require a razor for removal if it was in place for an extended period of time. I definitely do not want to use a razor on my acrylic. Still, it looks like just about every option (other than taping a background in place) may require some sort of acrylic unfriendly treatment for removal. I guess I may have to choose the lesser of two evils! LOL

Mer-max said:
I would be afraid the heat from my hair dryer would harm my acrylic. Not sure how high of a heat would be required though.

Bonefish said:
If a hair drying accomplishes the same thing as the Arizona sun does with vinyl.. I'm going to have to say no! lol it seems to bake on!
That would really stink! As yummy as baked on vinyl sounds! NOT! LOL

CatfishJack

Well Known
You know you can stick regular aquarium background paper to the glass with vaseline or vegetable oil? rub on a light coat and it'll stick to the glass like magic.

OP
LisaAnne

LisaAnne

Bonefish said:
You know you can stick regular aquarium background paper to the glass with vaseline or vegetable oil? rub on a light coat and it'll stick to the glass like magic.
hmmmm... I suppose that I could just do that same thing with the black vinyl I bought if I don't remove the backing? Of course The paper backing would possibly get wet here and there. Still, something to consider! Thanks!!

CatfishJack

Well Known
It's how I just attached mine. Worked well! Removal --- I'm not sure how that'll work so do some reading on it if you can.

Edit: Theres this stuff too:

OP
LisaAnne

LisaAnne

Bonefish said:
It's how I just attached mine. Worked well! Removal --- I'm not sure how that'll work so do some reading on it if you can.
I will. Thanks for the replies!

New Threads