Vinegaroon question

Ghelfaire

I have a 20 gallon aquarium that I turned into a terrarium. After the whole coronavirus thing is over I was planning on adding a vinegaroon as the only inhabitant.

My question is can I use my aquarium hood with light or do I need a screen lid for it?

Mongo75

Ok, I know what a vinegaroon is, but being in the California desert where they are quite common, where in Canada are you going to get one? Are they sold as pets?

Aside from your source, I would think they should be kept much the same way as a tarantula, or other arachnid would be, with a screen.

wishuponafish

I don't see why not except maybe you could get mold/condensation if it's too airtight?

Ghelfaire

Mongo75 said:
Ok, I know what a vinegaroon is, but being in the California desert where they are quite common, where in Canada are you going to get one? Are they sold as pets?

Aside from your source, I would think they should be kept much the same way as a tarantula, or other arachnid would be, with a screen.
I would have to go to a terrarium speciality store out of town or ask the one in town to order one in. I actually contacted a bylaw officer to make sure it wasn't illegal to have one because the sale/ownership of arachnids (ie: turantulas and scorpions) aren't allowed in town here. However since vinegaroons aren't really venomous they said I could have one no problem.

Ghelfaire

wishuponafish said:
I don't see why not except maybe you could get mold/condensation if it's too airtight?
It's not airtight. There's a hole where the filter used to go that I can fit with a screen if necessary. I've had the terrarium set up over a month and nothing has grown any mold or fungus.

Latest threads

Top Bottom