Vinegar eels Question

1. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Just a quick question but does the solution solution vinegar eels need to be added to other then just replacing evaporation. what do they feed on and can that be completely consumed leaving them to starve?

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I can't answer that specifically but here's what I did to care for/keep my vinegar eels alive. And it's worked for me and they thrive!

In a large plastic bottle (1.5-2L is what I used) fill it as high as you want with a solution of 1 part diclorinated water/ 1 part apple cider vinegar. (Always safer to have more vinegar then water). Add a half of an apple (peeled) into your bottle and add the vinegar eel culture. Keep it in the dark and your vinegar eels should thrive! :) usually after about a month when the apple has sunk to the bottom and is deteriorating, I then put a little bit of that culture aside. Then I rinse out the bottle completly and start over, adding the culture I put aside to the new solution.

Hope this somewhat helps? Lol

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Ah thats got me a little confused. I had my culture in the same mix for around 4 months maybe more. It took about 2 months for me to notice any worms in the vinegar.

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I handle my VE culture mostly like bellachan.

You want a container with a large surface area for oxygen transfer. A wide bottle rather than a tall/narrow (edit) one and don't fill up to the neck where there won't be much surface area.

I use two large bottles because I use a lot of VEs and they don't multiply all that fast. And I run a culture for about 2 months before making up a fresh mixture. They are rather hard to kill, darkness doesn't seem to matter all that much. They are about as much a a fuss free food to culture as there could be.

Harvesting the eels is what takes some special instructions. Since they are so small, a filter, even a coffee filter, doesn't capture them very well. There is an easy way called the long neck bottle method. There are instructions here:

http://www.killies.com/Vinegareels.htm