Vinegar Eel Culture Starter -- Pic Heavy

aquachris

So decided to do a vinegar eel culture. So what better thing than to share my steps!

I did this pretty cheap
5- 32oz Apple Vinegar - Dollar Store - $5 (actually only used 3 and 3/4 of one)
2- Container jugs that are 12 cups each - Dollar Store - $2
3- Wine bottles that someone was recycling - Free!!!
2- Apples from my wife's work - Free!!
A gallon and some of water $0
Culture of Vinegar eels - Local person $5
Total: $11-12 (if you count the extra apple vinegar)
Tons of cheap food for baby fish - Priceless

So here we go... Here's the beginning of my witches brew preparing cultures.

So I cleaned out the wine bottles and the containers. Wine bottles are for harvesting and 2 of the containers are for extra culture, (Yes I know there's an extra one it is just to hold water - It actually has another purpose after this for another project). If you use water, its important to make sure its dechlorinated. Apples are chopped up - 1 apple is chopped up in little smaller to fit in the wine bottles, the others are just regular slices. I cheated and used an apple slicer/decorer (No idea what they are called)

1613437967751.png

Added apple to the wine bottles

1613438088503.png

Added apples to the containers, Filled each container and wine bottle halfway now with apple vinegar

1613438813768.png
Water has been added (make sure you have dechlorinated water). Vinegar eels are in the bags.

1613438258227.png

So what I did in this next step (sorry forgot to grab a pic) is simply poured the eels into a measuring cup with a spout so I could pour them into the wine bottles and containers.

I then pour them into each container. The wine bottles, I did about 1/3 of a bag worth each, and split a bag worth in the two containers.

1613438390755.png

So I had no rubber bands, so I Macgyvered this a little, and used zip ties on the containers with marineland aquarium filter pad. The wine bottles have poly-fiil material (I use this as filter floss) in them. I kept the poly-fil above the water/vinegar mix for now so that the eels don't try to come to the top for air to dry out.

1613438915977.png

Now I let it sit for a month in my basement to start getting ready and I can use the first culture setup after that. I did date each bottle so I knew when I did them. When I get to the point of culturing, I'll try to remember to come back and post some updated pics of it.

Things I figured out I should have done?
Buy big rubber bands...
Use some kind of string material around the filter floss so I could pull it out.
Probably not have filled the jugs so high (this made an interesting trip downstairs)!

Do you have any suggestions/recommendations?

taj13

Thanks for sharing these instructions! I'm going to have to give this a try in the future! The pics are very helpful!

Upvote 0

aquachris

Thanks for sharing these instructions! I'm going to have to give this a try in the future! The pics are very helpful!
Was hoping it might help someone and I had wanted to see if others have done this and why advice.

Upvote 0

Og2treats

So decided to do a vinegar eel culture. So what better thing than to share my steps!

I did this pretty cheap
5- 32oz Apple Vinegar - Dollar Store - $5 (actually only used 3 and 3/4 of one)
2- Container jugs that are 12 cups each - Dollar Store - $2
3- Wine bottles that someone was recycling - Free!!!
2- Apples from my wife's work - Free!!
A gallon and some of water $0
Culture of Vinegar eels - Local person $5
Total: $11-12 (if you count the extra apple vinegar)
Tons of cheap food for baby fish - Priceless

So here we go... Here's the beginning of my witches brew preparing cultures.

So I cleaned out the wine bottles and the containers. Wine bottles are for harvesting and 2 of the containers are for extra culture, (Yes I know there's an extra one it is just to hold water - It actually has another purpose after this for another project). If you use water, its important to make sure its dechlorinated. Apples are chopped up - 1 apple is chopped up in little smaller to fit in the wine bottles, the others are just regular slices. I cheated and used an apple slicer/decorer (No idea what they are called)

1613437967751.png

Added apple to the wine bottles

1613438088503.png

Added apples to the containers, Filled each container and wine bottle halfway now with apple vinegar

1613438813768.png
Water has been added (make sure you have dechlorinated water). Vinegar eels are in the bags.

1613438258227.png

So what I did in this next step (sorry forgot to grab a pic) is simply poured the eels into a measuring cup with a spout so I could pour them into the wine bottles and containers.

I then pour them into each container. The wine bottles, I did about 1/3 of a bag worth each, and split a bag worth in the two containers.

1613438390755.png

So I had no rubber bands, so I Macgyvered this a little, and used zip ties on the containers with marineland aquarium filter pad. The wine bottles have poly-fiil material (I use this as filter floss) in them. I kept the poly-fil above the water/vinegar mix for now so that the eels don't try to come to the top for air to dry out.

1613438915977.png

Now I let it sit for a month in my basement to start getting ready and I can use the first culture setup after that. I did date each bottle so I knew when I did them. When I get to the point of culturing, I'll try to remember to come back and post some updated pics of it.

Things I figured out I should have done?
Buy big rubber bands...
Use some kind of string material around the filter floss so I could pull it out.
Probably not have filled the jugs so high (this made an interesting trip downstairs)!

Do you have any suggestions/recommendations?
Just started a culture today, your post was extremely helpful in ensuring I did it correctly.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tyler Peck
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
coralbandit